What is the role
Purpose and Accountabilities:
Reporting to the Head of Advice Shell Energy America (SEAm), the Lead Trading & Supply (T&S) Compliance Advisor is a member of the Advisory team within T&S Compliance.
The T&S Advisory Compliance team has responsibility for:
- Acting as the first point of contact for all Compliance queries escalated by the various T&S businesses within the relevant regions, in support of the T&S Compliance Operating Model;
- Escalating as required to SME's relevant Compliance queries received under the Compliance Operating Model
- Providing guidance and advice to T&S businesses on the Shell Code of Conduct, including the escalation of more complex regulatory & compliance or Code of Conduct queries to the relevant Compliance SME;
- Reviewing new products or activities as part of any T&S new business approval process;
- Assisting the T&S Compliance Training team with the allocation and delivery of training;
- Providing input to Compliance Risk Assessments.
- As a senior member of the T&S Compliance Advisory team you must act with integrity at all times and ensure escalation of all matters identified that may be in breach of any Shell Group standard of Code, including concerns in relation to ethical decision making and ESG-related considerations
- The Lead Advisor, SEAm, will be responsible for managing a team that provides timely, accurate and robust advice and guidance to T&S Businesses and Functions.
- In managing the team the Lead Advisor will be required to establish and/or maintain effective business partnering relationships within (the) various levels of organization across SEAm, including offices in Houston, San Diego, Canada, Mexico and Brazil, and across the wider Compliance function globally; and
- In the absence of Head of Advisory, be the delegate to Business and cross functional leadership meetings;
- Develop and maintain a strong understanding of the T&S businesses activities, focusing on natural gas, power, carbon, emissions and other renewable and emerging markets, as well as Compliance risks and controls within the Advisory team;
- Assist the T&S business in understanding the Compliance risk implications of their current and proposed new activities, as well support the identification (and development) of potential risk mitigations and Line of Defence (LOD1) controls;
- Proactively provide guidance and advice to T&S Businesses and Functions in relation to all regulatory & compliance requirements and risks, including (but not limited to):
- compliance with external regulations/exchange rules/internal requirements, or conformance with Group Standards, Manuals and Shell Trading Policies;
- the understanding and mitigation of regulatory and compliance risks such as market manipulation, anti-trust, bribery & corruption, and money laundering.
- Partner with all other parts of the Compliance team, including in the development and execution of the Compliance Training agenda and the annual Compliance Risk Assessment plan.
- Support the learning and development of the Shell Energy Americas Advisory team (and globally as required) to ensure continuing growth of knowledge and experience in the team, and to enable the team capacity to provide effective and expansive support to the T&S businesses.
- Support the Head of Advice in maintaining T&S's relationships with financial regulators and / or trading regulators (exchanges) on all routine and customary matters and handling requests for information and other inquiries/investigations from trading regulators, in consultation with Compliance Regulation team, Legal and Regulatory Affairs as required, in such a way as to ensure they remain open and constructive.
What we need from you
- Direct reports, with the requirement to provide effective oversight and direction, and the continuing development of the Advisory team
- Expected to deputise for the Head of Advice for Shell Energy Americas as required.
- Problem solving: an ability to navigate through complex transaction and Compliance problems by understanding the business/es, the underlying market/s and relevant regulation, taking into account different views, identifying the critical issues and articulates the way forward. It is expected that the complexity of problems at this level will require over 15 years' experience in order to understand and assimilate all the competing and conflicting data points and arrive at a solution. The range of problems to be solved at this level is likely to be extremely broad and encompass many different geographical jurisdictions as well as relevant legislation.
- Stakeholder relationships: Builds relationships with T&S stakeholders at all levels in the Shell Energy Americas organisation (and more widely as may be required) whilst maintaining independence and tenacity of approach and challenge. Key to success in this role will be the ability to influence and establish relationships with T&S Leadership mainly at the RTL and GM levels, as may be required by the role.
- Communications: Communicates complex subject matter clearly and simply and identifies the key messages for stakeholders. Adapts communication style depending on the stakeholder audience and comfortable in having difficult conversations.
- Issue management: Identifies, tracks and manages issues and works with stakeholders to resolve problems and continuously improve processes and controls.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- The ideal candidate will have at least 15 years' experience during which they will have gained in depth knowledge of commodity trading and financial and physical commodity trading markets (including Natural Gas, Power, Renewables, Crude and Refined Products) in a Compliance environment
- Strong knowledge of exchange rules relevant to their region.
- A sound knowledge of the T&S Businesses (including Crude, Products, Energy, Shipping, Operations and Supply) is desirable.
- Robust written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence at all levels of an organisation, both internally and externally, and engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and partner with business stakeholders, other compliance team members and other functions.
- Compliance is a foundation of the way in which T&S does business and therefore integrity is one of the fundamental values that we are seeking as part of the Compliance team. We believe integrity is the hallmark of a person who demonstrates sound moral and ethical principles during their work. Integrity is the foundation on which coworkers build relationships, trust, and effective interpersonal relationships. It is essential that the successful candidate will be able to give clear examples of integrity as one of their core values.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions.
An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.