What's the role?
The Systematic Trading Team within SE-EA leverages developments in technology, programming frameworks and state of the art quantitative analysis to develop profitable algorithmic trading strategies in energy futures markets. The key focus for the Algorithmic Trading Developer will be to support the desk in the development and implementation of novel algorithmic trading strategies within the existing algorithmic trading platform using best in class technology and development practices.
The Algorithmic Trading Developer will work in close co-operation with the Algorithmic Traders on the desk and the algo platform project team to:
What We Need From You
- Develop platform improvements and extensions as required to further algo trading activity.
- Co-operate with algo traders on implementing novel algorithmic strategies for execution and revenue generation as well as support the continuous optimisation of the existing strategies.
- Drive initiatives to improve and extend collection of relevant exchange market data including exchange feed handler implementations and data base designs.
We would be interested to hear from individuals with the following core competencies:
- Expert programming skills in C# (or Java/C++)
- Excellent software engineering practices incl. familiarity with common software engineering design patterns
- Experienced in algorithm design/implementation
- Hands-on data base design (SQL, KDB) expertise
In addition, we value expertise in the following areas:
- Experience building back testing frameworks incl. expertise around the related questions of data storage, component synchronization, latency optimization and implementation of performance metrics.
- Knowledge of limit order book, exchange connectivity, and order management paradigms.
- (Energy) Futures markets knowledge incl. relevant trading applications
- Skills in Statistics/Machine Learning with applications to time series
- Python programming.
- High degree of pragmatism and the desire to deliver business value whilst maintaining high standards of work
- Resilience under pressure and a proactive attitude to overcome hurdles
- Team player with the ability to collaborate across different teams
- Uses best practice development techniques but open to change of approach according to conflicting timelines/risks involved
- Used to working in a flexible, independent manner on a mixture of small unstructured and large structured items
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part. An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.