Where you fit in
The Quant Analytics and Data Services portfolio in Shell Energy is a team that works across the global Shell Energy Trading businesses to provide the underlying standards, tools and technology needed by our traders and analysts to model and forecast the global gas, power and environmental products markets.
The team have several major initiatives that are critical to our ability to support the rapidly changing demands in these areas including building out our analytics capabilities and extending the data platforms and data mesh.
Our growth ambitions mean that a scaling up of capabilities to manage end-to-end operations generation and trade in the fast-paced, highly automated intraday/day-ahead markets is required. This scale-up is to support the business alongside enhancing and building on existing solutions for operations, trading, and market data. What's the role?
Shell Energy is looking for a talented and experienced IT leader to be the Portfolio Manager for this team, you are responsible for the value delivery of technology development scope across an IT portfolio. You will work closely with business stakeholders in the trading and quant analytics teams to ensure that platform vision and development is correctly structured to enable the target business vision, roadmap, and fulfils agreed KPIs and providing thought leadership around the rapidly evolving innovating technical capabilities in these areas.
In Shell Energy a portfolio is a group of IT product teams that support a specific area of the business. The products in the portfolio are a combination of vendor products and bespoke solutions.
Key responsibilities are:
What we need from you
- Partnering with the Business Owner to co-create the strategic portfolio vision and roadmap to deliver that vision
- Own full IT Solution lifecycle including discovery, agile delivery, and operations.
- Serve as a thought leader to the Business Owner on the art of the possible and establishing (and maintaining) IT Solution roadmap, applying design thinking, Agile delivery, and dev ops where relevant.
- Take E2E responsibilities for the IT Solution and acts as an escalation point for operational and delivery issues
- Managing the supplier relationships related to the solution and inputs into the roadmap
- Progress opportunities, seeking the right resources needed to deliver the roadmap
We're keen to hear from individuals who have proven data and analytics in energy trading. Beyond that, we'd hope to see as many of the following as possible on your CV:
- Observable IT portfolio management skills (portfolio lifecycle: vision, demand, value, budget, delivery).
- A detailed understanding of how the use of data should work in a trading organisation. What are the key data domains and how data governance works in practice.
- Understanding of the roles of traders, fundamental analysts and quants and how they expect to work.
- Strong IT management, business partnering, forming relationships, stakeholder management, analysis and problem-solving skills, good communication and leadership skills
- Proven track record of managing IT Solution development through the entire lifecycle, with a preference of design thinking, agile delivery, and dev ops experiences
- Strong commercial mindset enabled by rounded understanding of commodity trading business and technology and of the importance of data and analytics in trading.
Good to Have
- Adept at influencing and challenging at senior levels and in the front office to achieve the right outcomes across business and technology environments
- Broad network beyond Shell into peer organisations, technology partners, and thought leaders
- Strong focus on collaboration, team building, and customer service
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part. An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.