Where you fit in
Shell Trading and Supply (T&S) is an energy trading operation that combines a global network of trading companies, with shipping and maritime capabilities, and an integrated network of supply and distribution activities.
The Commercial Operations organization works in partnership with T&S to deliver capabilities that enable them to "run" the business, as well as build capabilities that "change" the business.
Programme Project Delivery (PPD) sit in Commercial Operations and deliver cross T&S projects/programmes:
- support T&S with cross business line Programme, Project, PMO, Assurance and Change management
- delivers a methodology that enables effective Programme, Project, PMO, delivery and embeds change
- acts as the custodian of the overall Programme and Project agenda for T&S, enabling prioritisation activity and cross business line stakeholder alignment
The portfolio of projects is diverse and varies in scale and complexity. Current Programmes/Projects span Risk, Compliance, Process, Data & Systems. However, the portfolio is expected to evolve to meet the demands of Shell's Powering Progress Strategy.
The PPD team are a new, highly driven team of Project management and PMO experts focused on delivering real solutions, that add business value and help drive the T&S agenda forward.What's the role?
As a project manager within PPD, you will be expected to deliver projects that vary in size, scale, and complexity across a global business. Reporting to the Senior Project Manager, the Project Manager has responsibility for:
- Defining the business problem statement and developing the solutions.
- Guiding stakeholders through a structured process and methodology.
- Delivering project outcomes within time, budget, scope, and quality.
- Transitioning the project outcomes at project closure to the appropriate business, operations, or risk teams to allow them to embed the changes.
The Project Manager will be expected to:
- Business case - define the problem statement with the business and obtain business buy-in for the project.
- Initiate project - define scope and business outcomes, determine delivery approach with resource, timeline and budget requirements, check feasibility.
- Planning - develop detailed resource-based project plans which show dependencies and defined delivery roles.
- Governance - establish fit for purpose Governance to oversee management of the projects to ensure they deliver against their objectives, have effective decision-making processes, and maintain senior stakeholder support.
- Tracking - track project progress against plan and budget, manage projects changes through change control process.
- Risk and Issue management - Identify and manage risks and issues to keep delivery on track, making interventions to remove project barriers or escalate early for support in resolution.
- Reporting - Consistently report progress to senior management using executive summaries supported by key delivery metrics.
- Change Management - Develop the case for change, assess the Business impacts and develop a robust change management plan
- Delivery - motivate and lead a cross functional team (internal and external) to deliver to plan and budget. And actively develop the culture of a high performing team
- Project closure - assess project status against closure criteria and manage transition into business-as-usual. Evaluate successes and challenges to enhance learning for future projects
What we need from you
- No direct reports but expected to manage and lead cross functional teams (internal and external) and deliver project outcomes.
- Represent project status in Governance forums with senior leadership.
- Relevant experienced in project management.
- Delivery focused - driven to deliver on commitments even when the situation is ambiguous and vague.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and key relationships across a very complex organisation.
- Strategic problem solving - Ability to grab a problem that is abstract or poorly defined, and transform it into one that is clear, understood and has all stakeholders in alignment.
- Ability to tease out requirements and key issues to harness ideas and drive the stakeholders towards solutions.
- Professional qualifications in project management desired e.g. PMP, P3O, PRINCE 2, Agile project management.
- Experience and knowledge of project management methodologies and tools.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university (or equivalent work experience).
- Knowledge and/or competence in Trading, Supply, Risk, Compliance, Process, Data, or Systems.
- Learner mindset - Eagerness to learn, with proven ability to get up to speed quickly and solve business problems, without being a subject matter expert.
- Aligned with Shells values of Honesty, Integrity, Respect with a focus on Safety.
- Stakeholder management - build strong stakeholder relationships and influence them to drive sponsorship, buy-in and sign-off during projects. Proven ability to navigate push back from stakeholders and develop an aligned way forward path.
- Change Management - Knowledge and competency in change management with the ability to deliver and embed sustainable change outcomes.
Personal Effectiveness skills:
- Executive presence - "show up," inspire confidence and make an impact.
- Advise & lead - optimise a team's performance (internal and external) and consistently demonstrate and share best practice.
- Communication skills - actively listen, synthesise and playback ideas, in a way that engages, inspires, and influences your stakeholders.
- Resilient, adaptable and thrives under pressure.
- Quality focused - ability to administer all aspects of the role to the highest quality.
- Ability to deliver in a highly ambiguous and fast-paced environment.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.