What's the role?
This role involves supporting Shell Energy Trading, which is part of Trading & Supply (T&S) and has a significant existing gas trading business, as well as rapidly growing renewable natural gas, power and environmental products trading businesses. Trading and decarbonization are key strategic areas of the Shell Group, so these businesses are expanding rapidly, and are significant contributors to Shell's energy transition ambitions. The position involves supporting not only in a legal capacity, but also as a key business partner assisting with both commercial and energy transition goals.
This position is responsible for providing legal services to the European gas, power, and environmental products trading business. The focus is on supporting natural gas, and in particular the Renewable Gas Trading team and the Structured Energy Origination team. Both teams have a diverse slate of products and product types, which are constantly evolving within a developing landscape. There are a wide range of structures and counterparties, often necessitating highly bespoke contracts and deal types. Given the dynamic and integrated nature of the Trading business, the role will also support (renewable) power and environmental products transactions as necessary. What we need from you
Transactions are inherently fast-moving and complex, many are first time deals and require strategic thinking as well as technical, commercial, and contractual experience and knowledge. We are looking for a n experienced lawyer with a strong commercial contracting / transaction background and knowledge of physical commodity markets and trading. A structured finance background is a plus . We are keen to hear from candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Excellent negotiation and legal drafting skills; with experience in drafting and negotiating energy marketing and trading agreements (physical/financial).
- The ability to find creative solutions to legal and commercial issues, but within acceptable legal and risk frameworks; as well as to understand and consider business drivers and needs, as well as the regulatory background.
- A good grasp of business as well as legal issues, industry developments and legal, social, and political trends that may have an impact on the business.
- The ability to clearly explain legal risks, develop sound mitigation strategies and find acceptable commercial solutions; having a sound judgement on difficult issues as well as handling complex and sensitive government and partner relations.
- Experience in dealing with complex international law contracts as well as with different legal systems.
- Solid communication, coaching and development skills and a willingness and ability to coach and develop more junior/less experienced colleagues.
- Fluent in Dutch and English, both spoken and written.
The lawyers supporting Shell Energy Trading are primarily located in London (head office), the Netherlands, Cologne, Hamburg, Paris, Madrid, Milan, and Istanbul. This role is based in The Hague (or Rotterdam) and will report into the Managing Counsel Shell Energy-Europe & Africa, who is based in London. Company Description
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.