Where you fit in?
Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has an integrated global portfolio of crude oil, refined products, natural gas, LNG, electrical power, chemical feedstocks, and environmental products. It trades on average over 12 million barrels of crude and oil products and 5 million barrels of oil equivalent in natural gas and power each day.
This role involves supporting Shell Energy Trading, which is part of T&S and has a significant existing gas trading business, as well as rapidly growing renewable natural gas, power and environmental products trading businesses that are significant contributors to Shell's energy transition ambitions. Trading and decarbonization are key strategic areas of the Shell Group, so these businesses are expanding rapidly. This will mean there is an exciting but demanding workload, supporting not only in a legal capacity, but also as a business partner assisting with both commercial and energy transition goals. Current developments have a material impact on the gas markets and the energy system in general, and this role will be in the middle of the expected changes as Europe adapts its energy system.
The lawyers supporting Shell Energy Trading are primarily located in London (head office), the Netherlands, Cologne, Hamburg, Paris, Madrid, Milan and Istanbul. This role is based in the London and will report into the Managing Counsel Shell Energy-Europe & Africa, who is also based in London. Flexible working arrangements can be considered. What's the role?
This position is responsible for providing legal services to the London based gas, power, and environmental products trading business. The focus is on supporting natural gas and renewable natural gas transactions but given the dynamic and integrated nature of the Trading business it will also support (renewable) power and environmental products transactions as necessary.
In addition to providing legal advice in relation to specific transactions (and participating in negotiations with third parties), the role includes the following:
What we need from you?
- Promoting teamwork between lawyers working in different regions and businesses by encouraging a collaborative approach to cross-business and cross-regional matters.
- Protecting the rights and reputation of Shell companies in dealings with governmental and regulatory authorities, local communities, and other stakeholders.
- Liaising with subject matter experts (anti-trust, trade controls, regulatory advisers etc.) to provide tailored support for specific deals.
- Assisting with on pre-litigation disputes arising out of or in connection with business activities.
- Participating in industry bodies to help influence legal developments in the industry and support legal/regulatory lobbying initiatives.
Transactions are inherently fast-moving and complex, many are first time deals and require strategic thinking as well as technical, commercial and contractual experience and knowledge. We are looking for a lawyer with a strong commercial contracting / transaction background and with some experience in the UK/European commodities / energy trading markets. This role is at a relatively junior level in Trading & Supply Legal and there is significant scope to develop, assisted by support from / collaboration with more senior Trading lawyers.
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following skills and experience:
About Shell UK
- Good negotiation and legal drafting skills; preferably with experience in drafting and negotiating energy marketing and trading agreements (physical/financial), structured finance transactions, and/or derivative agreements;
- The ability to find creative solutions to legal and commercial issues, but within acceptable legal and risk frameworks; as well as to understand and take account business drivers and needs;
- A good grasp of business as well as legal issues, industry developments and legal, social and political trends that may have an impact on the business;
- The ability to clearly explain legal risks, develop sound mitigation strategies and find acceptable commercial solutions; having a sound judgement on difficult issues;
- Some experience in dealing with complex international law contracts as well as dealing with different legal systems;
- Solid communication skills and fluent in English, both spoken and written.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.