Where you fit in
Shell Trading integrates a worldwide trading network with an unsurpassed global portfolio in Crude Oil, Refined Oil Products, LPG, Gas, Power & Environmental Products with larger locations in London, Houston, Calgary, Singapore, Dubai, Rotterdam, and Bahamas.
Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) is one of the world's largest energy traders and is a key segment of the Shell portfolio.
In line with Global Operations policies and guidelines, the Global Contract Team is part of Commercial Operations and provides a commercially driven service to the trading teams within T&S as well as being responsible for the overall management of the trading and sales contractual activities.
You will be working as a member of the Global Contracts Team.
Global Contracts is an energetic and fast-paced evolving environment, where people are encouraged to play an active role in shaping the way the business is run, whilst adhering to the compliance framework across the business; as such, key to this posting is the ability to be flexible, adaptable, open-minded, goal-orientated, and control framework conscious.
The Trading and Supply (T&S) Oil Contracts team provides a commercially driven service to the Crude, Products, LPG, Baseoils, Chemicals, Bio-fuels and LNG trading teams for STASCO in London, SIETCO in Singapore, SITME in Dubai, Shell West in Bahamas, Shell Trading Rotterdam BV (STR) in the Netherlands, STUSCO in North America, and all parts of the Global Trading network (GTn).What's the role?
In line with T&S policies and guidelines in respect of the oil/products business, the T&S Oil Contracts team is responsible for managing the entire oil contracts process including the provision of pre-deal and post deal commercial advice, contract drafting, internal authorization and dispatch of contracts/contract responses, records management, and commercial value driven advice to the business when negotiating complex contractual arrangements. The scope of the contracts support provided by STR specifically covers both spot and term sale and purchase contracts for petroleum products, chemicals, low carbon fuels, storage contracts, letters of indemnity, transport contracts, and some of the related documentation for such contracts.
What we need from you
- Provide pre and post deal commercial advice to traders with respect to the commercial, contractual and financial risks associated with their business, identifying areas where there are opportunities for value creation as well as areas where the exposure to value leakage exists.
- Advise traders of the commercial and contractual risk associated with their business and ensure that contracts/agreements drafted are fit for purpose.
- Authorise and draft outgoing contracts and responses to incoming contracts, before dispatch to the counterparty.
- Provide advice to the business when negotiating complex contractual arrangements/framework contracts/storage agreements etc.
- Acting as a first line of defense in ensuring compliance with Shell's Control Framework, protecting Shell's license to operate by ensuring/verifying that all contracts comply with all local implementation policies, manual of authorities, business controls, Shell Group policy and standards as well as meeting all regulatory and regulated market requirements
- Provide advice and help in resolving contractual disputes with counterparties, liaising with corporate legal counsels as necessary.
- Maintain an awareness of any new trade opportunities and regulatory restrictions that may involve changes to existing procedures or support processes.
- Prepare and negotiate ad hoc agreements needed to facilitate new business and structured transactions.
- Assist in maintaining a contract and clause database, as well as manage an efficient status reporting mechanism.
- Reviewing and negotiating amendments to 3rd Party General Terms and Conditions.
- Assist in refining/revising current contracts processes in line with those of other functions (e.g. Settlements) to reduce profit leakage and ensure optimal efficiency
- Working closely with regulatory lead making sure contracts are updated with any new regulatory requirements concerning bio quota transfers
- Some travel required for onboarding and team meetings in the Netherlands
An innovative place to work
- Must have a good commercial mindset.
- Demonstrate effective negotiating skills and capable of managing the expectations of various stakeholders to a contract.
- Demonstrate a flexible approach and be commercially orientated with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Must have the ability to prioritise workload while adhering to tight deadlines.
- Genuine interest in commercial processes and a strong understanding of contract terminology, contractual drafting, and legal issues.
- Should be meticulous with a keen eye for detail.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
- Must have good interpersonal skills, able to communicate effectively with both internal and external customers/stakeholders.
- Must be highly organised
- Literate with IT systems and able to grasp and absorb IT technical knowledge in a relatively short time frame (e.g. Power BI) and operate in it.
- An understanding of energy/commodity trading and German bio quota contracts/transfers (Ubertragung der Erfullung der Quotenverpflichtung "Quotenhandel") would be beneficial.
- Good knowledge of English
- Fluency in German is required for the role.
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.