Where you fit in
You will join the LNG Market Risk Advisory team, a group of experienced risk professionals with the objective of bringing insight & value to Commercial teams, through objective analysis and challenge of trading strategies. Our aim is to provide clear guidance on existing and new business propositions, reflected in high quality risk assessments.
You will also be part of a lean global risk team focusing on Shell global LNG portfolio. The Market Risk Advisor LNG will be the main stakeholder manager in the London office, with a strong focus on LNG & global gas derivatives and Downstream LNG businesses.What's the role?
Successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
What we need from you?
- Cooperate with and support the London-based LNG Derivatives desk, to setup a new suite of analytics specifically designed for non-linear trading (standard options across TTF, JKM, Brent and Henry Hub; structured options). Daily analysis of financial strategies across linear and non-linear derivatives books.
- Interact with and provide Market Risk advice and insight to senior commercial, risk, and finance colleagues. Provide independent advice and guidance on the level of risk/return in the business to senior commercial, risk, and finance colleagues.
- Assess new deals and proposed transactions for a wide range of LNG and natural gas related contracts to ensure that the commercial teams have identified and priced associated risks.
- Work with the Valuation and Quantitative Analytics teams to understand, assess and model market risks including embedded physical optionality and optimization of physical portfolios changes exposures.
- Ensure that all market risk exposures generated are fully understood and that the risk associated with market risk exposures are properly evaluated and communicated to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Assist in limit setting & monitoring of the LNG businesses, but equally play a key role in limit setting globally across the Trading and Supply business.
- Drive understanding of the design and utilization of methodologies to assess risk/reward of the portfolio, including VaR back-testing, stress testing, scenario analysis, liquidity analysis.
- Understand and explain changes in VaR by breaking down the impact by its underlying drivers and ensuring that the VaR accurately reflects the positions taken and volatility of the relevant market.
- Define and advance analytical mindset and behaviors by providing support for training and learning opportunities to analysts to enhance their understanding of trade book strategies, complex deals, trading and risk mandates, and market fundamentals.
- Attract, develop and retain top talent; includes identifying future leaders within the Market Risk team. Enable continuous professional development and timely training for risk professionals.
- Implement Shell best practices in commodity trading risk management.
- Ensure that all trading activities remain within mandated limits and escalate appropriately if they are exceeded.
- Help set the agenda for Risk Committee meetings with Senior Leadership. Brief key Risk Committee stakeholders in preparation of the Risk Committee meeting
We are keen to hear from candidates with strong track record in market risk management capacities, with a focus on energy commodities (preferably global gas and LNG, European gas & power or oil & products). Advanced experience in monitoring of market risk, stress testing, Value-at-Risk exposures, ensuring risk completeness and accuracy (e.g. by monitoring closely and understanding the profit & loss (P&L) drivers).
Besides that, we would also like to see the following skills touched by your experience:
About Shell UK
- Understanding of energy market fundamentals, ability to keep abreast of market trends / signposts and to link them to implications for the portfolio risk profile.
- Past experience in senior stakeholder management (VP/EVP level across Finance and Commercial).
- Pricing and risk management expertise with a focus on non-linear portfolios (standard / structured options). Familiarity with complex, cross-commodity portfolios.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to manage market risk related projects and activities with minimal supervision. Ability to collaborate with global teams across different geographies (Asia, Europe, US).
- Programming skills in Python/Matlab are a plus.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential...
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.