Where you fit in
It is recognised that the size and complexity of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has increased substantially over the past few years and the expectations around risk management from a regulatory perspective have also shifted for Energy trading. As a result, and also recognising the potential to unlock additional value from enhanced risk management of our trading activities, a strategic decision has been made to make a major investment to strengthen the risk management capabilities of the organisation from a people, process, data and systems perspective in both the first and second lines of defence.
This role, reporting to the Head of Market Risk Transformation for Oil and LNG, is tasked with helping to design, administer, and implement the Market Risk transformation programmes for each of the energy businesses in the T&S portfolio for Oil and LNG. These programmes will include investments in analytical and reporting tools available to risk managers as well as "softer" elements such as helping to identify and fill capability gaps in teams, improving the relevance and effectiveness of risk meetings, rationalizing risk policies, managing stakeholders, and other "pillars" of the Market Risk Transformation programme. Ultimately, our objective is to help the organization improve its decision making by improving risk/reward analyses and providing educated challenge and value-added insight to the commercial organizations and senior management.What's the role?
This role will be accountable for the following:
- Help build the requirements defined by the Risk SME's and drive project execution on their behalf. This will span across the full spectrum of changes from small enhancements to the delivery of more significant IT investment
- Administer the various global Market Risk transformation programmes for each of the Oil and LNG businesses
- Prepare slide decks for senior management and programme SteerCo and DRB forums.
- Ensure timely delivery by focusing on stakeholder management and project delivery through Market Risk, IT, Commercial, and Business Integration Assurance (BIA) resources
- Help ensure that project administration will be tailored for the scope and complexity of the project, not "one size fits all". Generally, this administration accountability will include ensuring projects stay on track and on budget and will cover scope, schedule, finance, risk, quality and resources
- Identify opportunities for the automation of day-to-day activity, the transfer of certain activities to the BIA organization, the transfer of certain activities to FO and the identification of activities that should be considered for transfer from FO back to the onshore teams
- Provide advice and guidance to the First Line of Defence teams on the implementation of market risk capabilities
- Work closely with Transformation Change and Engage lead to ensure robust communication and socialization of Market Risk projects with all stakeholders
This role relates to T&S. Business stakeholders are primarily located in London, Houston, and Singapore, with additional commercial and functional stakeholders in other global T&S locations.What we need from you?
We are looking for an experienced Market Risk practitioner, preferably in an energy trading environment with the following skills and qualifications touched by their work experience:
- Deep understanding of standard suite of market risk metrics and analytical tools
- Proven ability to manage multiple senior (and other) stakeholders.
- Experience automating manual processes
- Interest/curiosity in new technologies (AI, blockchain, et al)
- Experience interfacing with IT stakeholders to ensure successful project development
- Experience decommissioning unused applications/processes/reports
- Knowledge of best practices for data ownership, management, and governance
We also hope to see the following:
About Shell UK
- Strong communication skills, confidence to speak up and challenge plus ability to form effective relationships with stakeholders across Commercial, Risk, IT, the broader Finance organisation, and other support functions
- Proven ability to manage and deliver through others, working with people from different cultural backgrounds and in a virtual, global environment
- Experience in leading projects using a variety of methodologies, e.g., Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, Kanban.
- Experience in project planning and using tools such as Azure DevOps.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.