It is recognised that the size and complexity of Shell Trading & Supply (T&S) has increased substantially over the past few years and the expectations around risk management from a regulatory perspective have also shifted for Energy Trading, for example, with the FCA's Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR) applying in the UK from December 2019. As a result, and also recognising the potential to unlock additional value from enhanced risk management of our trading activities, a strategic decision has been made to make a major investment over the next 3-4 years to strengthen the risk management capabilities of the organisation from a people, process, data and systems perspective in both the first and second lines of defence. A new Chief Risk Officer (CRO) was brought into the organisation in March 2020 who is leading the efforts for the second line of defence and added a number of new roles to the organisation to drive these changes forward.Where you fit in?
The new Risk Reporting and Analytics (RRA) team focuses on the delivery of regular and ad hoc risk reporting and portfolio analytics to the commercial teams, the risk management teams and various other stakeholders such as the T&S Leadership Team (TSLT), Shell Executive Committee (EC) and the production of risk information which will flow into external financial reporting. This includes merging the activities of the previous Enterprise Risk Advisor. The RRA team also partners closely with the Risk Transformation and Shell IT teams to contribute to the planning and delivery of risk systems/IT change projects.
The Senior Analyst Quantitative Methods (Europe) role's primary stakeholders are commercial teams and risk managers located in T&S hubs of London, Houston, Rotterdam, Dubai and Singapore, with global activities. The role focuses on providing pre- and post-deal quantitative analytics to support these teams, in particular covering businesses in the European and Asian time zones.What's the role?
Successful candidate will be accountable for the following:
What we need from you?
- Provide ad hoc advanced analytics at a transaction level such as for the calculation of pre-deal exposures (potential future exposure, expected exposure, expected credit loss etc). Transactions can be long-dated and complex, often with embedded derivatives and may extend into illiquid parts of the curve.
- Collaborate with and support Commercial / Credit / Market Risk / Valuation teams with production reporting of complex modelled contracts e.g. complex LNG contract modelling, market risk price stochastic models, structured credit agreements, multi-variate options, as well as other ad-hoc requests from commercial senior management.
- Ensure analytics methods and tools have clear and appropriate documentation.
- Provide leadership and support to RRA colleagues, including the Shell Business Operation (SBO) teams based in Chennai and Manila that support with daily operational tasks.
- Contribute as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) to reporting and analytics related projects as part of the transformation agenda within Risk
- Act as a centre of expertise for SME's across Risk, providing 'thought leadership' and helping them to interpret the quantitative drivers for the portfolio and specific transactions booked in T&S
- Interface with stakeholders in Shell IT, Commercial, Risk Transformation, and broader Risk etc.
We are keen to hear from candidates who have prior quantitative risk analytics experience desirable, with a deep understanding of at least one commodity market in which T&S operates (e.g. Gas, Power, Emissions, LNG or Oil) and the quantitative risk methods commonly used, including how to apply them and where a simpler approximation might be suitable.
Beyond that, we'd hope to see as many of the following on your CV:
- Exposure to the types of quantitative and data challenges faced in a complex trading environment with multiple ETRM's and other data sources.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal), including an ability to concisely explain complex concepts to non-specialist stakeholders in terms of intent and application.
- Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized.
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines and exercise good judgement when providing advice, questioning discrepancies and escalating issues.
- Learner mindset: innovative and creative, excellent critical thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
- Proficiency with SQL, Python or other programming languages is desirable.
- CQF would be a bonus
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential...
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.