Where you fit in
Shell Shipping and Maritime is Shell's centre of expertise for all kind of shipping and maritime matters. It provides commercial, ship management and technology services for the Shell group, and is responsible for ensuring that all our global maritime activities are safely managed. The overall Shipping and Maritime team consist of diverse nationalities and has an inclusive working environment in which different values and perspectives are valued where Safety is core in everything we do. Our shared core values of honesty, integrity and respect .
The Marine Technical Advisor Team EU is providing maritime expertise in respect of technical, operational and commercial performance whilst protecting the Shell Group's reputation by ensuring that all maritime operations are conducted in accordance with the Group requirements for Health, Safety, Security, Environmental and Social Performance control framework (HSSE&SP CF).
The role is part of Shell's regional Shipping and Maritime team based in Rotterdam.
The purpose of this MTA role is to add value to marine logistics activities for inland and deep sea across Europe and to monitor and assess the effectiveness of ship operations, advise on new maritime related regulations, projects and procedures including handling for specialist cargoes such as chemicals, LNG etc. and to manage all aspects relating to marine matters appertaining to the safety, environment, commercial and third-party issues.What's the role? Accountabilities:
The Marine Technical Adviser is the source of maritime expertise and has responsibility to the freight traders, commercial freight operators, commercial product operators and commercial operational services for all maritime related advice.
The incumbent will manage the provision of the following key services:
What we need from you
- Advise in all elements of the HSSE&SP Control Framework.
- Advise to incidents investigations and ship transport related issues
- Advice on maritime aspects in business projects, project to operations transitions and operations
- Support the business in developing standards and procedures for ship operations in EUAF region.
- Support team lead in business crisis and maritime emergency response including organizing and implementing training and exercises to test the effectiveness of businesses marine emergencies.
- Provide professional maritime support and advice on marine legislation and operational standards regarding Oil, Chemicals & Gas, LNG and New Fuels requirements.
- Sharing knowledge with internal stakeholders.
- Promote positive relationship with relevant authorities such as IL&T, harbour and river authorities etc.
- Ability to remain rational, composed and professional under pressure is a distinct advantage in order to operate successfully in this role.
- The nature of the Trading and Supply business requires a dynamic team able to be responsive to the chartering and commercial needs of the businesses.
- Class I Certificate of Competency Deck or Engineer Officer
- Oil, Chemical and/or Gas endorsement.
- Minimum 5 years of service aboard tankers. At least 1 year in a senior position.
- Thorough knowledge of ship/shore interface management, bunker operations and maritime transportation of all hydrocarbons in bulk.
- Sound knowledge of HSSE processes and management systems managing maritime safety risks.
- Experienced with auditing and/or tanker inspection processes.
- (Lead-) Auditor accreditation is preferred.
- Key to this position is in depth knowledge of and the ability to apply international maritime legislation and industry standards, codes and guidelines.
- Must be able to communicate in English. Proficiency in Dutch or German language is seen as beneficial . Good communicator, both written and oral.
- Ability to analyze and develop proposals and solutions to a wide range of HSSE, technical and operational problems.
- Ability to manage and integrate with others in different functions.
- Ability to work and integrate in a multicultural and diverse team.
- Self-motivated professional with ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Shell Nederland BV is a platform for international collaboration, with Shell offering direct employment to around ten thousand people in the Netherlands alone, including roughly 2,800 non-Dutch employees from around 80 countries. Diversity is key at Shell Nederland, and our employees reflect the innovation that stems from a diverse workforce. By joining Shell Nederland, you will benefit from an unrivalled industry-leading development programme that will see you tap into a pool of expert knowledge that will help propel your career. Shell Nederland is the holding company of most Shell companies operating in the Netherlands. Shell Nederland also has an advisory and coordinating role in numerous areas.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.