Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Krakow, Poland
We are looking for an experienced Head of Tax, Filing and Reportin to join our Managed Direct Tax ("MDT") team based in Krakow, Poland. The countries in scope of the MDT team includes Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico and a number of other LATAM countries. This role will provide you with an insight to the biggest tax organization in Europe and allow you to develop your career with world leader in its industry.
The MDT team of the Shell Finance Organization ("FO") is responsible for the filing of Income tax returns for Shell entities doing business in various countries outlined above including companies operating overseas or foreign affiliates with local reporting requirements as well as Joint Ventures. The Position is responsible for advising on and reviewing returns, complex issues and handling related tasks that include Quarterly review of tax provision, Tax basis balance sheet preparation and analysis, research of law changes, participating in team projects within the team as well as cross-functions, tax accounting and reporting including review of SOX controls and engagements with Group Tax Reporting and statutory auditors, responding to inquiries by the businesses etc Also, the position is responsible for managing all the correspondence received from the Tax Authorities, as assessments, queries and etc, and making sure that they are responded on time. Finally, the position is responsible for being a line manager of a team of Tax Specialists.
Corporate Income tax compliance and reporting
• Delivering of accurate tax reports, returns and payments for migrated activity through effective and efficient management and operation of the direct tax compliance process;
• Preparation, calculation, recording, and reporting tax provisions, effective direct tax rates and other management assurances (including return-to-provision adjustments, deferred tax true-ups, and effective direct tax rates including tax account balances and reconciliations);
• Ensuring that group accounting and reporting changes are effectively incorporated and implemented in the process;
• Reviewing many complex, highly technical areas in Income Tax returns such as, but not limited to, the following (Tax credits, Related - party transactions, Employee - related tax adjustments, consolidation and partnership tax regulations).
Managed Direct Tax Processes and Group Guidelines:
• Ensuring delivery of the business/process responsibilities and process metrics;
• Ensuring clear roles and responsibilities and segregation of duties/authorities across the team;
• Appropriate planning and prioritization of work engagement for effective and smooth running of the MDT operations;
• Following and implementing Standards/systems to comply with the Group Records Management policy;
• Reviewing and monitoring entire end to end MDT process;
• Effectively operating/implementing/managing/organizing all direct tax controls;
• Support in managing and transition additional/new scope migrations of MDT activities;
• Ensuring correct and timely escalations of process exceptions or tolerance/variances;
• Implementing systems/data and IT solutions and change management initiatives are;
• Providing tax technical training and coaching to Team members;
• Supporting continuous professional development and good practices in the FO MDT teams.
Interfaces and Relationships/collaborations:
• Support in interfacing with external auditors on income tax matters in order to attain sign-off of Shell's audited financial statements;
• Support in interfacing with Business Controllers' staff and Business Tax Advisors on Income Tax Compliance and Reporting matters;
• Developing and maintaining relationships with the Businesses and Functions in country;
• Supporting Country tax teams in respect of data and inputs that may be required from the tax compliance work papers and data sets.
Required Skills And Experience:
• Recognized professional qualification and preferably a member of a recognized accounting body with >10 years broad professional experience;
• Work experience of migrated tax / finance activity in multinational companies or professional firms would be preferable [or] Bachelors / Masters in Finance degree with >15 years broad professional experience out of which at least 6 to 7 years of experience in migrated tax / finance activity in multinational companies or professional firms preferred;
• Previous experience in managing, coaching, and developing teams;
• Candidate should possess good understanding and ability to guide the team on the following:
- Tax Laws of complex jurisdictions, IFRS and Tax Accounting practices;
- Various Control Frameworks and controls in a tax environment;
• Working knowledge of various ERP systems is added advantage (thought not a must) and excellent MS Office skills is a requirement;
• Ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business;
• Fluent in business English (Written and oral);
• Ability to understand architecture of various IT systems and tools and use same to guide team to lead various efficiency (Automation, CI etc) initiatives;
• Effective influencing skills and communicator of complex tax compliance issues; both written and oral. Ability to coach and impart such skills in the team.