What is the role
Shell Pipeline Company LP (SPLC), a Distribution business unit, is responsible for the management and operation of over 3700 miles of pipeline and several terminal facilities in the US. These pipelines and terminals operate 24x7 to transport crude oil, finished products and chemicals to and from various locations and markets in the Gulf Coast, West Coast, and Mid-West regions.
The Shell Pipeline Control Center (CC) is responsible for the remote operation and monitoring of a majority of SPLC's pipelines and terminals. CC Controllers work 24x7 at the CC primary location in Houston, Texas. They receive information from and send commands to over 350 remote locations along the 90+ pipeline systems and terminals they operate.
The Control Center utilizes a complex system of hardware and SCADA software to provide the monitoring and controlling capabilities to the Controllers - referred to as the Pipeline Industrial Automation and Control System (IACS) . Additional software applications and support systems are employed to provide for the maintenance, retrieval and analysis of security and historic information.
The CC Technical Staff is responsible for the 24/7 run-and-maintain activities for all CC equipment and software systems with the goal of achieving 99.999% availability for remote operations. Further, the technical staff is responsible for coordinating and executing modifications and additions to the Industrial Automation and Control System (IACS) environment both in the CC and at over 350 field locations through direct interaction with field and project engineering personnel
As a member of the Shell Pipeline CC Technical Staff, the Automation Engineer is responsible for providing technical assurance for Automation changes. This role requires an in-depth knowledge of Allen Bradley PLC programming, understanding of various Industrial Automation and Control System (IACS) protocols (Ethernet/IP, Modbus, DF1, OPC etc.) and the ability to work well together in a multi-disciplinary team.
Automation Assurance -
- Management Of Change (MOC): Review and approval of Automation changes
- Project Control Review Process: Complete a detailed Automation review.
Operations Support - Support Operations to define control philosophy and work with CC building maintenance team to maintain environmental monitoring throughout the Control Center.
Industrial Automation and Control System - Contribute to the integrity of the Industrial Automation and Control System (IACS) by creating a standard software image for automation programming laptop, reviewing field firewall rule changes, and administrating Rockwell software licenses and version control application.
Initiatives - Participate in Control Center improvement projects/initiatives to ensure Control Center Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) standard and security requirements are integrated within project scope and design. Manage 3rd party providers to ensure project expectations are met - including budget expectations.
Provide 24x7 Support - as a member of the Shell Pipeline Control Center Technical staff, the successful candidate will be expected to be available at any time (except during vacation periods) to provide support to the 'On-Call' staff member or directly to the Operations Staff. Vacation schedules will be coordinated with other Technical Staff members to ensure adequate technical support at all times.
Specific activities include:
- Automation Management Of Change (MOC) Review Process
- Project Control Review Process
- Serve as SME to provide PLC programming guidance to field support
- Support CC Operations in defining control philosophy
- Participate in RTU configuration sheet meetings and Root Cause Analysis
- Troubleshoot PLC programming issues, RTU communication issues, and building environmental monitoring issues
- Interface directly with service providers - both internal and external.
Industrial Automation and Control System:
- Create and maintain a standard Automation programming laptop software image
- Review Field firewall rule changes
- Admin Rockwell licensing software
- Admin version control software
- Keep RTU standard up to date
- IACS software patching
- Develop Automation scope/cost projections for or in support of initiatives involving the Pipeline Control System (IACS) initiatives
- Ensure Pipeline Control System (IACS) standards and security requirements are integrated into projects/initiatives
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 4 yrs. experience supporting and operating assets
- Minimum 4 yrs. of experience with the following (hands on):
- Allen Bradley PLC programming (ControlLogix, SLC 500, PLC 5)
- Protocol interfacing (Ethernet/IP, Modbus, DF1, OPC, etc.)
- Ability to read P&ID, electrical schematics, and Cause & Effect matrix
- Working knowledge of the following application:
- Studio 5000, RSLogix 500, and RSLogix 5
- FactoryTalk View SE
- FactoryTalk Asset Centre
- Tofino Configurator
- ProSoft Configuration Builder
- Proficy Machine Edition
Successful candidate must be a self-starter who can effectively communicate technical concepts in an operations environment, be accountable for elements key to the Control Center mission and, be able to seamlessly interface with stakeholders at all levels both within Shell Midstream and external.Company description
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies with about 84,000 employees across more than 70 countries. We aim to meet the world's growing need for more and cleaner energy solutions in ways that are economically, environmentally, and socially responsible. We have expertise in exploration, production, refining and marketing of oil and natural gas, and the manufacturing and marketing of chemicals.
As a global energy company operating in a challenging world, we set high standards of performance and ethical behaviors. We are judged by how we act and how we live up to our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect for people. Our Business Principles are based on these. They promote trust, openness, teamwork, and professionalism, as well as pride in what we do and how we conduct business.
Building on our core values, we aspire to sustain a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone feels respected and valued, from our employees to our customers and partners. A diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment are vital to our success, leading to greater innovation and better energy solutions. An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you'll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently. An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we're nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.