Where you fit in
The Freight Trader position offers you the opportunity to join the Global Products Freight Trading Team with its challenging, dynamic and fast paced Physical and Paper Freight Trading business environment. The role also offers the ability to develop cutting edge, innovative analysis models to gain the most accurate forward view of the products freight markets.
The role is expected to work closely with Products Global Trading Networks (GTN) and other parts of Shell Downstream in support of their business objectives by providing a first class and competitive freight service and interface in areas of mutual benefit.What's the role?
The Products Freight Trading Team is required to charter full range of crude, products and chemicals. This will include spot, CVC, COA, TCT and Time Charter activities, as well as Freight Trading both in the physical and derivatives markets. Analytics are an important component of the Freight Trader role, developing an understanding of how the markets trade from a ground-up approach.
What we need from you
- Manage physical freight trading positions in support of the freight team goals/targets, while also utilising derivatives trading tools for exposure management.
- Support financial and other targets set for the Freight Trading Group, therefore maximise profitability on Group controlled vessels.
- Work with oil trading desks/other cargo desks within Downstream to seek optimal logistics solutions in wet and paper freight trading. Be proactive in looking for opportunities that might give traders an "edge".
- Shell trading systems must at all times be kept fully updated, input concluded by close of business on the day a deal is completed or as required by a particular location. Close contact must be maintained with the finance / Credit / compliance / KYC / Trade Control teams to ensure trading practices are correct and compliance.
- Liaise with counterparties (owners/brokers/charterers) around the world and therefore with varying time differences. Gathering market information, assessing the accuracy of such and dispensing this around the GTN + Downstream. It is important that relationships are built with other Charterer's and Owners as a customer base.
- Deal generation is very high and the ability to work under pressure is an extremely important attribute to have. It must be understood that working hours are not standard. It is important that the incumbent is above all a team player.
- Possess at least 5 to 10 years Freight Trading/Chartering experience.
- Candidates with relevant Chemical Freight Parcelling, Commercial and Time Chartering experience will be preferred.
- Background in Tanker/Chartering and Oil & Gas is advantageous.
- It is essential that you can show you are a self-starter and can work well as part of a team.
- Trading and Shipping operational knowledge including loading and discharging of ships, liaising with customers and knowledge of cargoes etc are desirable.
- An awareness / understanding of paper instruments utilized for hedging and speculative trading would be valuable.
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.