Shell's story in China dates back more than 100 years. At Shell China we will make sure that your ideas will travel. All of Shell's core businesses are now represented in China. We need world-class candidates to continue our drive to innovate and answer the world's energy needs in socially and environmentally responsible ways. What's the role?
You will support multiple research projects and activities in energy storage related research and development programmes, as well as developing broader topical, project, and market expertise related to various forms of energy storage. More specifically, in this role you will:
- Support identification of promising storage technologies and development of these through the Shell Deliver Technology Process; discovering/evaluating, developing/piloting, demonstrating and deploying towards commercial scale.
- Establish working knowledge of techno-economic analysis to place technology developments in appropriate context.
- Deliver lab & pilot projects, often in multi-party collaborations.
- Develop and expand laboratory capabilities and experimental procedures; identify/develop/implement tools for data acquisition and analysis.
- Develop understanding of the broader energy system, the energy transition, & the role of emerging technologies; evaluate external technologies for technical and economic viability and potential, and place technology developments into appropriate contexts.
- Contribute to results published in peer-reviewed publications, internal technical reports, conference presentations, and patent filings.
- Represent Shell in relevant academic and industry platforms and present at conferences.
What we need from you
More about ShellAn innovative place to work
- Demonstrated commitment to safety, health, and environmental considerations
- Experience with energy storage technologies and the role of energy storage in electrification
- Understanding of energy storage technology from an electrochemistry/materials science perspective and from a system design/integration perspective
- Effective stakeholder management with technical and non-technical collaborators
- Direct experience with laboratory setup and experimental techniques relevant to electrochemical energy systems; experience with extending or developing novel techniques is beneficial
- Design, synthesis, functionalization, & characterization of electrically active materials; material structure-property relationships; device fabrication & characterization; influence of manufacturing on performance
- Experience translating customer & market needs into technical requirements
- Consumer + systems thinking
- Translating end user product requirements into relevant, robust, critical-to-quality process parameters
- Product design and prototyping (physical and computational)
- Working knowledge of intellectual property (IP) considerations
- Project leadership and laboratory supervisory experience
- Demonstrated commitment to R&D as evidenced through technical presentations and publications
- PhD in materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, physics, or related field. Experience with electrochemical engineering and electrochemically active materials is a plus
- You are keen to keep learning and persistent towards your end goal
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Energy transition is one of the most complex challenges to ever face humankind. Research has shown that the differences in who we are, what we've experienced, and how we think are crucial to deliver top performance. Diversity in all aspects is core to our ways of working including our hiring practices and we are committed to build a team and environment that accelerates the path towards a net zero society.A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.