Where you fit in
SLMT (Shell LNG Marketing & Trading) is the global LNG marketing and trading arm of Shell where the Commercial Cargo Operator sits. Shell is the global leader in LNG industry with supply projects in both Atlantic/Asia Pacific basins and customers spread across Asia, Europe, Middle East and South America. The nature of this high value trade is evolving fast with the mix of long and short-term contracts.
Commercial Operations provides end to end commercial operations and logistical support to SLMT and is as such responsible on a day-to-day basis for the timely implementation and execution of commercial transactions to ensure that all obligations arising from the LNG contracts are met and carried out professionally. This requires working closely with traders to maximise the value-add for profitable operations and minimize the profit leakage from the flexibility and optionality embedded in the LNG contracts. Operations are also involved in the development of projects and new contracts.
The LNG operations team is responsible on a day-to-day basis to be able to implement and execute commercial deals and review standard LNG contracts. In addition to cargo operations, this incumbent may be expected to cover freight operations and be able to operate LNG ships under SLMT's responsibility working closely with the chartering team.What's the role?
Key Areas of Responsibility
What we need from you
- Ensure that LNG operations fully complies with Shell's internal standards including compliance and HSSE, paying special attention to HSSE hazards and risks that may have impact on Shell's license to operate.
- Display visible leadership and commitment to HSSE within the team. Engage with external partners to echo and reinforce our strong focus on HSSE.
- Ensure that all commercial and operational obligations/nominations arising from the contracts are carried out, and that any necessary requirements are complied with.
- Deal with cargo/freight counterparties and terminals on a regular basis regarding all pre and post deal activities.
- Appoint independent inspectors and expeditors and be able to investigate matters relating to LNG quality.
- Ensure that all operational information is entered timely and accurately into trading systems.
- Execute timely cargo invoicing, reconciliations and clearances of accruals for both external and internal deals.
- Liaise with counterparts and support the team to ensure smooth operations, avoid delays and minimise demurrage costs.
- Multi-task on priorities and think on your feet to deal with contractual problems ensuring that they are managed professionally and optimally for the trading business.
- Specifically seek to add value by exercising embedded commercial and logistical deal options and be pro-active with problem solving.
- Support commercial colleagues on the feasibility of proposed contractual arrangements for new projects, new contracts and spot cargoes.
- Agree supply schedules with third parties and calculate cargo pricing through understanding the mechanisms and indices employed.
- Identify and exploit synergies with other parts of Shell Trading.
- Support short term initiatives to continuously improve the efficiency of all aspects of the commercial operations.
- Engage in highly complicated contract mechanisms for reconciliations involving large datasets to be completed in a timely fashion.
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders, counterparties and service providers e.g. suppliers and customers, surveyors, and regulatory bodies.
- Actively engage and support the global freight and cargo operations team across the other hubs to ensure the process alignment, business continuity and commercial added value.
- Pro-actively close out operational related disputes or issues with external and internal counterparts.
- Engage with external parties (outside of Shell) to gather best practices, digital solutions and exchangeable learnings.
- Support LNG Ops and SLMT digitisation strategy in close liaison with the Project Lead. Drive continuous improvements and automation.
- The operator will handle global 24/7 trading activities and whilst colleagues are available in other time zones, the operator is expected to respond flexibly to requests outside of normal office hours.
A key criterion is to be able to operate within a non-standard environment where the counterparty requires and expects considerable support and at the same time be able to gently introduce standardisation and efficiency.
Experience in commercial operations (preferably LNG) will be a strong advantage.
- Good understanding of international trade, maritime transportation, and commodity markets.
- Strong understanding of value drivers in LNG trading, LNG operations, Gas markets and Gas operations.
- Proven track record of experience in Commercial LNG and Commercial Gas Operations.
- Ability to identify areas of operational and commercial risk in new and existing contracts, with a track record of successfully implementing changes to limit risk or increase optionality.
- Ability to apply analytical competencies and critically analyse scenarios to best determine actions and decision making.
- Able to gather and manage large data sets from different sources with complex relationships, streamline, develop reports and analyse using tools such as Excel, PowerBI, Alteryx etc.
- Ability to analyse business challenges and formulate digital solutions using innovative technology.
- Track record of continuous improvement and be able to identify and implement solutions to ruthlessly eliminate complexity and waste in terms of processes.
- Deploy a commercial mindset in parallel with critical HSSE elements to achieve a balance of objectives.
- Ability to identify risk and opportunity in complex operational circumstances.
- Ability to leverage on functional support and provide high quality options and opinions to commercial stakeholders.
- Act with personal integrity, be guided by personal values and beliefs.
- Resilient under pressure and ability to manage own well-being with consideration for others.
- Strong sense of initiative to independently seek out information.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, adapting to varying audiences to clearly articulate key messages for influence.
- Deal with conflicting priorities where managing difficult stakeholders must be conducted professionally.
- Display a learner mindset and challenge commercial decisions where applicable.
- Make decisions under time pressure based on best available information.
- Ability to engage, listen and understand perspectives whilst providing effective feedback to peers and management.
- Impeccable work ethic with exceptional work standards and the desire learn and grow through experiences.
- Proven track record of building trust among peers, stakeholders and external counterparties.
- Ability to understand diversity of thought and incorporate different views in decision making.
- Capability to foster a positive work environment and lead by example even in challenging circumstances
- Shows care for colleagues.
A high level of fluency in the English language, both written and spoken is required; others such as Mandarin, Japanese and Korean would also be an advantage.Company Description
Shell is one the largest foreign investors in Singapore and began operations in 1891. Today, we have more than 3,200 employees in Singapore alone. The Pulau Bukom Manufacturing Site today is the largest Shell refinery in the world in terms of crude distillation capacity, which makes Singapore a key regional supply and trading centre for Shell in the East. Singapore is the largest petrochemical production and export centre in the Asia Pacific region. Shell Jurong Island (SJI) manufactures petrochemicals to meet the fast-growing demand for these products in the region. We also have one of the largest single-branded retail networks in Singapore, providing customers with a wide range of quality products and services. When you join Shell in Singapore, you can count on our commitment to help you thrive and propel your career by means of our industry-leading development programme and our available and unrivalled pool of local and global experts. Our numerous global and local skill pools as well as our diversity are key to our success and continuing innovation.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas, and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.