What's the role?
Shell Energy Europe & Environmental Products is seeking a meteorologist. This position is responsible for supporting traders in Gas and Power commodities with analysis developed from a deep understanding of weather-based drivers such wind, solar, Hydro, etc. affecting power generation, or temperature affecting demand in Europe. This position must build credibility with internal customers so that such foresight can be translated into commercial gain primarily in the trading business function. The emphasis is on developing both qualitatively and quantitatively advantaged capabilities, supported as appropriate by models, tools and techniques that yield high quality insight. Collaborating with peers in the Meteorologists team to build scalability in this respect is essential.
What we need from you
- Deliver short term to long term weather view for use in fundamental power analysis techniques to support trading and asset optimisation decisions.
- Understand the fundamentals drivers related to power and gas that can be influenced by weather inputs.
- Develop and improve weather derived models to be used as inputs for price modelling.
- Monitor and back test weather forecasts from internal and external providers.
- Work closely with short and mid-term natural gas and power analysts in market view development.
- Provide weather data and forecast for asset optimisation.
- Develop new products and tools to improve trading making decisions.
- Excellent knowledge of the global weather models is essential
- Relevant years of experience with weather forecasting ideally within the energy industry or trading environment.
- Very strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of weather regimes in Europe, climate drivers and their implications on the weather forecast.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent IT skills incl. ability to model in main languages as Python and in the MS Windows environment (particularly Excel), Experience interfacing with databases (SQL).
- Bachelor's Degree in meteorology or Maths/Physics with a link to Meteorology.
- Experience working with reanalysis and netcdf/grib files.
- Ability to use, modify, deploy weather models or statistical models (MOS) is a strong advantage.
Shell started operations in the United Kingdom more than 110 years ago. Since then, we have grown into a leading innovative Oil & Energy company that rewards its employees by investing heavily in their careers and learning. Our people are our greatest asset, and our commitment to your career will see you thrive in a work environment that offers an industry-leading development programme. When your ideas travel, Shell will benefit, and innovation will thrive. Shell has a key role to play in helping meet the UK's growing energy demand, whilst using innovative technologies to develop cleaner energy. We are the largest FTSE 100 company in the UK by market capitalisation and make a significant contribution to the UK economy. As well as processing 35% of the gas coming into the UK, we serve more than four million customers at our filling stations each week. Shell employs some 6,400 skilled staff as well as many contractors.An innovative place to work
There's never been a more exciting time to work at Shell.
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in oil, gas and renewable energy to meet demand, exploring new ways to store energy, or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.An inclusive place to work
To power progress, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills, and reach your potential.
A rewarding place to work
- We're creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there.
- We're closing the gender gap - whether that's through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We're striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We're huge advocates for career development. We'll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.