Be part of our team as we work to own the design and development of technical solutions meeting the IT project needs of the business. Join Shell and be part of a home where you can grow your career, develop leading-edge skills, and deepen your business knowledge. Where you fit
The developer will transform and implement business requirements into high-quality software solutions that will be deployed in the Shell Upstream business. As part of a development (scrum) team, the developer will be collaborating with other Developers, Product Owners, Architects, UX and QA staff to realize elements or subsystems to meet this requirement. The developer will take part in highly collaborative sessions where a requirement is analyzed and broken down into a set of tasks that will need to be accomplished and addressed incrementally in a series of development iterations or sprints. Acceptance criteria will be defined upfront while analyzing the user requirements together with the team. The developer will verify and validate the developed code against these acceptance criteria. Only when those criteria are met, and acceptance tests pass the work is considered completed. What's the role?
As a Senior Software Developer, you are expected to apply state-of-the-art, object-oriented coding practices where every unit is covered by a unit test. Also, you will review the work of colleagues. You will use appropriate IT tooling to manage the work on a daily basis.
In addition, you will function within a small product scrum team (5-7 staff). The Product Owner of the team will maintain the interface with the business stakeholders and will make sure team priorities are aligned with business priorities and strategies. The team will have daily stand-up sessions where the developer will update on progress and will indicate impediments to further progress of the work.
As the developer will participate in software modelling sessions, together with Solution Architects and Subject-Matter Experts to analyze the business domain aspects of the end solution and discover the work that needs to be done in each of the architecture components or tiers. What We Need from You
- Advanced knowledge of object-oriented design, familiarity with different application architectures (e.g. Client/Server, SOA and Component-Based Architecture) and comfortable progressing work in either approach.
- Experience with developing large-scale solutions using C / C++.
- Source Control System experience with GitHub or similar and CI/CD experience with Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of Unit Testing, code coverage, code analysis and Test-Driven Development.
- Comfortable working in an Agile (Scrum) software development lifecycle approach delivering working and tested software each iteration or sprint.
- Strong understanding of clean code principles (e.g.-SOLID, DRY etc) and usage of different patterns (e.g.- singleton, factory, observer etc)
- Understands the various programming paradigms, such as functional programming, object-oriented programming (OOAD), generic template programming, etc.
- Ability to express software architecture and design into visual models (e.g. UML).
- Good understanding of Python language and any other scripting tools
- Past experience in coaching and mentoring junior developers.
Shell is a global energy company where we work towards powering progress through more and cleaner energy solutions. We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. In India Shell has its business footprint in Information Technology, Projects & Technology, Finance Operations, Integrated Gas, Downstream & Upstream spread across more than 7 main locations.
An innovative place to work
Join us and you'll be adding your talent and imagination to a business with the ambition to shape the future - whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently, everyone at Shell does their part.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we are nurturing an inclusive environment - one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential...
We are creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply, and we'll take it from there. We are striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you in finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
As an equal opportunity employer, combining our ideas through a creative, collaborative environment and global operations - we have developed and will continue to nurture a unique workplace with an impressive range of benefits to ensure that joining Shell is an inspired and rewarding career choice for everyone.