Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an opportunity for a Principal Electrical Engineer
to join our team in Qatar on a long term basis. This is a key role within the Wood Doha office delivering across study, FEED, EPC and PMC scopes of work. In this role, you will be responsible for the execution of project work in accordance with the project execution plan, including Wood and/or Project Procedures on Safety and Quality Control within the man-hour, cost and the project schedule targets.
Reflecting the market focus for the office in both brownfield and greenfield opportunities, multi-skilled personnel are sought, in particular those with experience in:
- Onshore Oil and Gas
- Offshore Oil and Gas
Skills / Qualifications
- Produce, review, and take accountability for the accuracy of detailed calculations, electrical engineering datasheets, drawings and other deliverables to define the electrical engineering requirements of our projects
- Such electrical deliverables including but not limited to the design basis, load schedules, sizing calculations (equipment, cable, UPS, battery), experience with completing power system studies (short circuit, load flow, transient, motor starting and harmonic studies), relay settings, power adequacy, lighting/earthing/lightning protection deliverables, block & single line diagrams, electrical layouts (equipment, cable, tray, duct and trench), equipment specifications & datasheets, wiring & termination diagrams, preparation and development of enquiry packages including Specifications, Datasheets, Request for Quotation and Technical Bid Evaluation.
- Reviewing, checking and approving of these electrical deliverables to ensure accuracy and alignment with the scope of work prior to issue
- Supervise less experienced electrical engineers and, where required, be line manager for electrical engineers within Qatar office.
- Support recruitment, training and development of electrical personnel
- Follow company standards and procedures to schedule and budget as advised by the Engineering Manager
- Serves as the Lead Engineer and/or discipline technical authority when required on medium to large complexity projects
- When assigned as the lead, manages the electrical scope of work within the agreed budget and timeframe, ensuring that key milestones are met for the overall project delivery
- Ensure the delivery of challenging project and client targets using sound technical knowledge and decision-making skills
- Proactively engages and interfaces with other disciplines / third parties to ensure delivery of work scope to meet project and client expectations
- Completes technical reviews and audits within the electrical discipline for projects of varying complexity
- Acts as Wood's technical representative for the electrical discipline, liaising and closely coordinating with clients and third parties
- Reviews and approves material take off for the electrical discipline
- Completion of site surveys and data gathering for brownfield scope of work
- Remain up to date with the latest technical developments in your fields of expertise
- As a technical specialist demonstrates, provides and develops appropriate technical solutions for specific project issues
- Take a proactive approach to personal & professional development
- Ensure Wood and Client Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality procedures are followed and that a high standard of safety is achieved in all associated work
- Demonstrate appreciation of commercial and technical risks, managing these appropriately within own work and highlighting any significant issues to the Engineering Manager
- Seek and support opportunities for department and project improvement and contribute to developing solutions
- Demonstrates customer focus and ability to respond to customer needs whilst achieving project and corporate objective
Skills / Qualifications / Experience
- Engineering Degree majoring in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience
- Enrolled on the Register of Engineers in the State of Qatar (MMUP)
- Proven core Electrical Engineering skills, including design experience in the Oil & Gas sector
- Familiarity and experience with high, medium and low voltage design, along with solar energy and power management systems. Has advanced level of expertise in one or more of these areas
- Being conversant with ETAP software and power management studies is essential
- Familiarity with electrical design tools such as SPEL and Aveva Electrical for example
- Experienced and well versed with Electrical HAZOP / SAFOP, capable of representing the discipline as the technical authority in such studies
- Familiarity with Kahramaa design requirements and interface is preferable, with knowledge of the requirements for the QCD DC1 and DC1 process.
- Experience of working in a variety of projects and phases, including greenfield and brownfield, on and offshore, Pre-FEED through to EPC, with a focus on offshore upstream.
- Able to support project controls, proposals and estimating with development of technical scope, execution plans, CTRs, manhours and schedules for the electrical discipline
- Experience with management of vendors, able to complete Technical Bid Evaluations and oversee development of vendor scope.
- Experience completing factory acceptance tests for a range of electrical equipment is desirable
- Construction and site experience is desirable
- A self-motivated, proactive individual with high achievement drive and initiative, excellent verbal and written communication skills and good organisational awareness
- Ability to impact and influence fellow workers
- Display analytical and innovation skills to manage new technology
- Fully conversant with international design codes and standards including ISA, NFPA, BS, API, IEC, NACE, NEMA, ANSI, EIA/TIA, ETSI
- Ideally has experience with Qatar NOC design standards including Shell DEPs
Applicants are required to:
- Be available for work in Doha, Qatar from April 2023
- Have demonstrable experience of recruitment within their discipline, including interviewing, candidate selection and team building within small discipline teams.
- Have demonstrable experience of working independently / remotely from technical leadership personnel (although functional leadership will be within the Doha office).
- Have demonstrable experience of working within a small project office, supporting cross discipline activities beyond their core discipline
- Demonstrate an effective level of written and spoken communication skills in the English language
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.