Overview / Responsibilities
Are you ready to join Team Wood
? You'll be challenged. You'll be encouraged to excel. You'll be given the opportunity to build a rewarding career. And you'll feel proud to be part of the team. You will be a part of a strong, global company shaping the future of the world's oil & gas, chemicals, renewables, environment & infrastructure, power & process, and mining markets.
Wood is currently recruiting for a Piping & Mechanical Designer
with experience in the chemical manufacturing industry to join our team in Narrows, VA.
You will be responsible for design work supporting facility-based projects in an active chemical manufacturing plant as part of that plant's capital project's group.
Authorization to work lawfully in the US without sponsorship from Wood is required. Responsibilities:
Skills / Qualifications Skills/Qualifications:
- Develop mechanical design packages with complete sets of mechanical drawings involving modified or original designs. Performs assignments requiring considerable field design/drafting experience and the use of mathematical skills to compute weights, dimensions, quantities of materials, etc. Ability to obtain data from field observations.
- Works from sketches and verbal information supplied by Project Managers/Area representatives to develop sketches or drawings with appropriate views, details, and supplementary information to complete assignments.
- Prepares mechanical designs that comply with applicable design codes, standard engineering practices (SEPs), RAGAGEPs, engineering design sketches, fabrication and constructability requirements, and clearness/completeness of drafting presentation.
- Self-directed position. Exercises independent judgment in selecting and interpreting data based on knowledge of the design intent and select required information from existing drawings, manufacturer's catalogues, technical guides, codes, standards, SEPs, RAGAGEPs, field survey notes, etc.
- Keep the Project Manager/Area representative informed of progress, design issues, and/or changes that might impact schedule or man-hour budgets.
- Interface with other disciplines as required in order to effectively and efficiently develop mechanical design deliverables.
- As needed, function as a design reviewer assuring compliance with engineering design sketches and calculations, applicable design codes, fabrication and constructability, industry standards, clearness, completeness/ dimensional accuracy of the design, and drafting presentation.
- Support and participate in activities that enhance the current Safety Culture at the Site.
- Associates Degree in Design or Engineering preferred
- 15-20 years of practical industrial design experience, with machine design experience preferred
- Knowledge of industrial processes, fabrication and construction techniques, equipment, design philosophies, codes, industry standards, and practices.
- Familiar with Industrial Facility safety policies and procedures.
- Self-starter and highly motivated, with minimum supervision.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable of the types of construction drawings and details required by their discipline.
- Effective communication, organizational, designing, and "people" skills.
- A commitment to continuous process improvement.
- Familiar with Microstation/AutoCAD and MS Office software.3D Modeling a plus
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.