Overview / Responsibilities
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Structural Engineer
to join our Power Solutions
group. This position can be located in either Vancouver, BC or Calgary, AB . If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you. Key Responsibilities
Skills / Qualifications
- Designing of electrical substation structures for 12kV to 500kV, including switchgear and control buildings, switchyard and gantry structures, as well as telecommunication structures, retaining wall and transformer oil containment systems.
- Designing of foundations for transmission towers, steel monopoles and wood pole structures.
- Prepare proposals, engineering specifications and contract documents
- Review project documents and drawings for technical quality, accuracy and compliance with applicable client standards and stakeholder requirements
- Participate or lead project design reviews
- Overseeing the work of staff throughout various project stages - from conceptual, feasibility, and detailed design to construction
- Reviews discipline progress, budgets and performance, and develops action plans to meet project objectives
- Leading and mentoring intermediate and junior staff
- Establish excellent working relationship with other functional areas and project managers and support cross-functional reviews and design improvements
- Develop close working relationship with Construction Management team, support active construction sites, answer RFIs, perform field reviews, support project constructability reviews
- Creating an environment that fosters technical excellence, accuracy and timeliness
- Traveling to and visiting project sites during various stages of a project
- Evaluating existing facilities and structures
- Designing and/or overseeing design of modifications to existing industrial facilities
- Working closely with electrical, P&C, architectural, civil , mechanical amd geotechnical disciplines to deliver successful projects
- Minimum 8 years of structural engineering experience in engineering roles of increasing responsibility on electrical substations and/or heavy industrial projects or related design experience
- Professional Engineer (PEng) registered in British Columbia or another Canadian province
- Professional Registration in the US is an asset
- General working knowledge of structural analysis software such as STAAD Pro and SAP 2000
- Familiar with Canadian and US building codes and regulations
- A willingness to travel
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively when managing multiple tasks
- Excellent organizational, technical, writing, communication and computer skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering, helping to unlock solutions to critical challenges in energy and materials markets. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in 60 countries, employing around 35,000 people. www.woodplc.com Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.