Lead Mechanical EngineerVeolia Water Technologies & Solutions Featured Employer
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
Around the globe, we help cities and industries manage, optimize and make the most of their resources. We provide an array of solutions related to water, energy and materials to promote a cleaner more sustainable world for all of us.
The collective expertise and passion of our people, combined with a broad portfolio of over 10,000 technologies, makes us uniquely positioned to deliver solutions that positively impact the environment. Come be part of something special - start your journey today!
The Lead Mechanical Engineer is responsible for executing the day to day engineering activities of assigned Projects. The Lead ME must also coordinate with other Water Treatment & Solutions Resource Managers, and 3rd party Resource Managers to manage workload.
The Lead ME's primary responsibilities are:
Workload Management - Day to day management and assignments, working with Designers, Project Managers and other WATER TREATMENT & SOLUTIONS offices. Strategic involvement in forecasting project engineering tasks to on-shore resources, off-shore resources, or lump sum contracts as dictated by company goals and project requirements.
Mentoring / Quality Assurance - Ensuring all work packages are aligned with the WATER TREATMENT & SOLUTIONS standards and that the team fully understands the work to be done. This role will be directly checking work produced to include BOM review, mechanical drawings, P&ID drawings, and collaborative drawings with electrical engineering. Checking in at various times during the design process to ensure we are on track. Finally, ensuring that all work completed by the design team has been fully checked, is in full compliance with WATER TREATMENT & SOLUTIONS standards, and of the highest quality.
Resource Management - Establish Project Goals, Perform Project Design Reviews, and deliver a highly functional Project engineering deliverables
Work Process Management - The Lead Mechanical Engineer implements the vision of Water Treatment & Solutions Asset Services fulfilment. As the leader closest to the work, feedback on what is working and what is not working is essential to the Asset Services leadership. This includes monitoring and controlling of engineering/process KPI's, identifying processes that need correction, and identifying opportunities for continuous improvement.
• Removing obstacles or guiding the design team to remove obstacles to ensure work proceeds with a high efficiency.
• Building a trusting and safe environment where design problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on results and problem solving.
• Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
• Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
• Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example
• Assertive - Must be able to ensure strict adherence to WATER TREATMENT & SOLUTIONS standards are adhered to, document control requirements are met, and all engineering products are checked and approved prior to issuance. Must be able to be a voice of reason and authority, make the tough calls.
• Politically Savvy - Be able to work/collaborate/communicate effectively with upper management, other departments and other stakeholders.
• Communicative and social - Must be able to communicate well with teams
• Facilitative - Must be able to lead and demonstrate value-add principles to a team
• Enthusiastic - Must be high-energy
• Continual improvement - Must seize all opportunities to improve the department's products and processes. Continually be learning new tools and techniques to manage oneself and the team
• Conflict resolution - Must be able to facilitate discussion and facilitate alternatives or different approaches
• Attitude of transparency - Must embrace transparency both up and down the organization in regards to schedules, performance, NCR's, and other KPI's related to department performance.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Expert level of proficiency in basic computer programs for an engineering office including Excel, AutoCAD viewers, PDF viewing/marking, Word, and EDMS Software for Check-In/Check-Out protocol
• General proficiency in MS Project, SAP, BAAN or other ERP systems
• Expert level of understanding of the art of system integration engineering including: P&ID development to include mechanical, process, I&C requirements as well as efficient use of general and keyed notes, standard details, scope boundary limits, and tie points. The development of a P&ID based engineering culture is a key part of the job.
• Mastery of the typical document set required for integration engineering and the sequencing / prerequisites for each, e.g. Mass Balance, PFD's, P&ID's, Facility Arrangements, Equipment Arrangements, Network Architecture Diagrams, Valves Lists, Instrument Lists, etc.
• Develop and release equipment BOM's to facilitate skid builds in the factory and system integration in the field. Structure BOM's as needed to support factory build vs. order and provide drawings as required. SAP (or other) ERP system experience is preferred.
• Drawing/Document Control including the importance of not having information in multiple locations and revision/change management. Using the drawing/document list and approval status as a measure of progress and performance.
• Perform mechanical design tasks such as sizing pumps & piping to ensure contract product quality & flow can be achieved under varying conditions (temperature, fouling, etc)
• Leading integration of the standard water treatment skids into a single system with adequate field instrumentation to allow proper control of the equipment.
• Provide additional high level reviews to electrical & control documentation to ensure the whole engineering team is executing to the same design.
• Communicate with the project team and project manager to manage document and equipment delivery schedules.
• Communicate with the customer on technical details to help drive to project scope and business standards.
• Work with factory planners, schedulers, material handling, and fabricators to ensure equipment is built to satisfy project requirements.
• Manage changes, corrections, enhancements to designs during the build process.
• Provide ongoing support for installation, commissioning, and operations.
• Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or other related technical degree
• Minimum 5 years experience in Engineering design
We offer competitive compensation and benefits working in a dynamic environment with challenging projects and training provided to ensure your success.
We realize diverse teams make smarter decisions, deliver better results, and build stronger communities. We're an organization that champions diversity and inclusion at every level and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace!
SUEZ – Water Technologies & Solutions is now part of Veolia and operating as Veolia Water Technologies & Solutions. With operations in 130 countries and over 10,000 employees worldwide, Veolia Water Technologies & Solutions solves the toughest water, wastewater and process challenges around the globe. Leveraging a comprehensive set of chemical, equipment and digital enabled services and products, the company helps customers optimize water resources and overcome process challenges. Veolia Water Technologies & Solutions serves customers across all industries, including food and beverage, metals and mining, power, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, chemicals, petrochemicals, pulp and paper, and utilities.