Chemical Engineer - Energetics Location:
Greater Houston Description:
The Chemical Engineer will be involved in all phases of energetics technology delivery -> new product development, manufacturing support and expert operation support. The Chemical Engineer will condition explosives for use in initiators, evaluate, and test energetic materials that are used for downhole tools in SLB Perforating Services. Roles and Responsibilities:
- Be familiar with energetic materials including RDX, HMX, HNS, NONA and black powder.
- Understand chemical analytical instruments such as HPLC, DSC, TGA and IR; understand how the output from these instruments describes the quality energetic materials.
- Be familiar with particle size reduction and granulation processing techniques.
- Be competent in a chemical lab and creative enough to develop tests to trouble shoot issues that arrive around the plant.
- Apply technical knowledge to engineering projects on materials and their processing.
- Consult on material selection, characterization, and physical properties for materials in sustaining and new product development.
- Conduct predictive failure analyses and root cause analyses for experimental and operational failures.
- Propose modifications for materials to enhance performance.
- Implement technological innovations from the greater materials industry.
- Analyze data to facilitate continuous product improvements.
- Consult with Technical Support engineers, field locations, and external clients to address topics related to material performance.
- Coordinate with suppliers and sub-contractors on material manufacturing activities.
- Perform engineering reviews on topics related to materials for contract and sub-contract statements of work and/or specifications.
- Develop and implement process controls and specifications for manufacturing, quality, and procurement functions.
- Investigate service quality incidents across the full product lifecycle and implement remedial action plans.
- Produce detailed technical reports and effective technical presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Master's degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering with experience in the explosives industry.
- Strong working knowledge of explosives and energetic material such as propellants.
- Sound comprehension of chemical analytics.
- Expertise with analytical instruments including HPLC, DSC, TGA and IR.
- Experience with failure analysis and root cause investigations.
- Ability to determine and execute appropriate analytical techniques and laboratory tests for material analysis.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Experience with project management and relevant software for communication (MS Office).
- Strong technical communication skills in English (written and oral) with an ability to coherently present experimental design, execution, and analysis.
- A PhD degree in a relevant Engineering or Materials Science discipline.
- 3+ years of experience related to research, engineering, and/or manufacturing.
- A formal education or experience with energetic materials.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as nitrations and Ullman coupling, crystallization and granulation.
SLB is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran or military status, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, or other characteristics protected by law. We are an "Equal Opportunity Employer". For more information regarding your rights, refer to the latest version of the "EEO is the Law" poster, the "EEO is the Law-Supplement" poster, and the "Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision" located here: company website
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation / modification to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability to assist in the hiring process, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in the interview process, please contact company website to request assistance. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to.
We are committed to a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments, please visit our Diversity & Inclusion | SLB (slb.com) for more information.
SLB is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor- priority referral Protected Veterans requested