At Oceaneering, we solve the unsolvable. We are a global engineering company that has its roots in deep sea operations for oil & gas industries. Today we operate a diverse portfolio of business units and associated activities. Not only do we operate fleets of ROVs for deep sea operations. We run the NASA neutral buoyancy laboratory and we develop the next generation of spacesuits. We design some of the most popular entertainment rides for the likes of Universal and Disney. And here at Oceaneering Mobile Robotics (OMR), we specialize in creating cutting-edge, autonomous mobile robot (AMR) technology-based, turnkey logistic solutions. Our AMRs are employed in the production facilities of premium manufacturers and hospitals. With a focus on safety, reliability, and performance, OMR continues to push the boundaries of what is possible with robotics. Position Summary
As a Application or automation Engineer you will be responsible for implementing, testing, supporting and installing our AGV software suite (both on a SCADA and on a embedded/vehicle level). Day to day you will configure the existing vehicle software framework as needed for new project and installed base. This included generating AMR layouts, implement traffic rules, optimizing vehicle parameters, calibrate vehicles, and test software in simulation and on actual devices. Working in a multidisciplinary team you will be responsible for making sure that the software systems meet the customer specifications and work within their site constraints. You provide both logistical and technical insight to create solutions that provide optimal automation performance. Given that we have global customers you are willing to travel and stay abroad for several weeks at a time. You are supporting the successful installation at the customer site. Duties & Responsibilities Functions
- Responsible for implementing and testing the control software for AMR systems on supervisory and vehicle level.
- Translate customer requirements into logistical AMR solutions including layout and traffic optimization, vehicle performance improvement and using existing infrastructure in the most efficient configuration
- Ability to tune control loops for AMR driving and handling.
- Interfacing the vehicle software to vehicle control hardware such as motor controllers, proximity detectors, and wheel encoders;
- Act as a technical liaison between customers and our product development team, providing technical support and guidance throughout the sales cycle
- Develop and implement automation scripts and tools for testing and deployment of autonomous mobile robots.
- Supporting the commissioning and deployment of AMR systems;
- Troubleshooting and fixing software issues;
- Testing the application software and interfaces to the vehicle;
- Writing requirements, detailed design documentation, and test cases;
- Providing support for field issues.
- Prepare estimates and participate in the bid process for new projects;
- Analyzing and modifying traffic and logic rules to optimize material flow and vehicle performance;
- Provide technical training and support to customers and internal teams on our autonomous mobile robot solutions.
- Continuously improving our processes and procedures to optimize development efficiency;
- Working in a multidisciplinary and multi-national team.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to Software team leader
- Technical Bachelor degree, preferably in Computer Science, Automation Technology or Information Technology or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in writing application software for industrial applications;
- Proficient with Linux and Windows operating systems;
- Experience with programming serial, CAN and network communications (UDP and TCP);
- Experience with configuring industrial control systems preferably in the logistics domain;
- Understanding of networking hardware and software including UDP and TCP;
- Experience with writing requirements, design documentation, and test cases;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Dutch and German is a plus;
- Ability to read and understand existing product code;
- Ability to act independently generating innovative solutions to complex problems;
- Ability to read and understand wiring diagrams;
- Working knowledge of electronic and electromechanical devices such as analog inputs and outputs, quadrature encodes, relays, solenoids, proximity sensors, etc.;
- Customer focused attitude;
- Willingness to travel and stay abroad several weeks at a time during system installation;
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a demanding and dynamic work environment;
- Experience with issue tracking systems, preferably Jira.
- Experience with versions software control systems.
- Experience with designing logistical solutions
- Experience with controlling autonomous robots.
- Experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Experience with CAN Open
- Experience with XML, web services and web user interfaces
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Job tasks are performed in close proximity to other people
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHT
work. OCCASIONAL FREQUENT CONSTANT
- Lift up to 20 pounds
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and reaching
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.