Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Wood is currently recruiting for a Radio Operator with extensive experience in the oil and gas and/or petrochemical industry to join our team. This position is located offshore Newfoundland and Labrador and will require you to travel offshore via helicopter or supply vessel.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Monitors and communicates with vessels and aircraft, Marine and aeronautical communications
- Performs official Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) functions
- Executes critical emergency response tasks
- Ensure that Distress / Safety / Weather and Traffic Advisory messages are brought immediately to the attention of the leadership
- General understanding of marine operations associated with offshore drilling installations and support craft
- Able to operate Platform Radio Equipment; Proficient in the use of radio and satellite telecommunications equipment, including computer applications for helicopter flight and vessel tracking
- Ensure the orderly and correct utilization of communications by others while carrying out their duties
- Communications with Helicopters, Supply and Support Vessels, Shore Base, etc.
- Coordination of Helicopter operations in conjunction with leadership and Helicopter contractors
- Communicating messages through the radio station to / from addressees in a timely manner
- Weather Observing Duties and liaison with the Weather Forecast Service
- Perform general watch duties for the Radar System & Telecommunications Network Management System
- Provide support and info for ice management including tracking and logging all ice targets
- Handle call and dispatch duties
- Maintain various logs / accounting procedures required by the Radio License
- Ensure Annual Inspection is up-to-date with respect to the renewal of Licenses, Surveys, etc.
- General administration support work
- Adherence to Control of Work system while carrying out all activities
- Report all accidents, near misses, and hazardous conditions
- Other duties as may be required.
Skills / Qualifications
- 5+ years' experience as a Radio Operator in an Offshore environment, preferably in the oil and gas industry.
- General Operators Certificate endorsed for GMDSS issued by Industry Canada
- GMDSS Certificate from an accredited GMDSS training institution
- Aviation and marine weather observer certification from a recognized institution or qualified instructor
- Restricted Operators Aeronautical (ROA) Certificate
- Regulatory Training required for offshore travel such as: Basic Survival Training (BST), H2S Alive, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) would be an asset.
- Effective communication skills (written, oral and computer)
- Qualified to MANMAR & METAR standard with INDS Weather
- Radar Navigation Certification ARPA
- Familiarity with Canadian Rescue Coordination Centre and procedures
- Familiarity with ECAREG procedures
- Familiarity with computerized maintenance management system
- Demonstrated teamwork behaviors consistent with company values;
- Familiarity with quality processes;
- Ability to recognize and resolve conflict;
- Maintain mandatory training and certification for continued offshore work;
- Experience working in a producing offshore oil and gas facility or petrochemical environment.
When submitting your application to Wood please upload all your relevant Certifications.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.