Experience: 6 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: New Iberia, Louisiana, United States
The Driller is a first line supervisor whose main duties are to direct and instruct the crew in the proper way to perform their duties and assigned tasks. This position is responsible for all operations pertaining to the drilling and completion of the well, including the circulating, rotating, hoisting, well control systems. It is the Driller's responsibility to ensure that the work is performed safely, efficiently and according to procedure. The driller also takes total ownership of everything on the rig floor.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations during tour of duty.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Follow the client's daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Ensure timely completion of accurate reports required by Company and client (including but not limited to daily drilling reports, pre-tour reports, hand-over notes, etc.).
- Update the well control board on a tourly basis.
- Maintain complete records of all tools and tubular run into the hole while drilling and/or reaming (including made up lengths, tool joints OD, ID, serial numbers).
- Track rotating hours on tubular/BHA/Tools.
- Maintain records of footage drilled, location and nature of strata penetrated, materials and tools used, services rendered and time required.
- Monitor drilling parameters and alarm systems.
- Monitor hole fill operations while tripping, logging, cutting drilling line or running casing.
- Record pickup, slack-off, rotating weights, and other drilling parameters.
- Operate drilling equipment
- Maintain and adjust machinery in order to ensure proper performance.
- Ensure floor and crown savers are function-tested and that testing results are recorded tourly.
- Ensure proper alignment of choke manifold and BOP remote console.
- Ensure performance of daily checks on FOSV, Kelly cock valve, IBOP, BPV.
- Secure well during well control events, emergencies and drills.
- Install and record pressure testing of BOPE.
- Ensure rig equipment and locations are secured prior to rig moves.
- Comply with emergency response plan or Work Safe Procedure during emergencies and/or drills.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed. Carries out an inspection of the operation control instrumentation, automatic and safety devices, condition of BOP equipment;
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger's role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Knowledgeable of and capable of operating gantry cranes, tubular shuttles, etc.
Can demonstrate knowledge and be able to function the following equipment:
- Diverter, Well head, BOP and associated control equipment
- Automated pipe handling equipment
- Drilling control (Break Handle) and safety systems
- Anti-collision surface equipment systems
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations:
- Drilling and well operations
- Well integrity and well control
- Dropped objects prevention
- Line of fire, exclusion zone and safe zone operations
- Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes
- Tripping and back reaming
- Running casing and completions
- Troubleshooting downhole problems and equipment failures
- Should have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education) and be proficient in rig math.
Education, experience, and certifications:
- High School diploma is required.
- Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications
- Should have at least 6 years of work experience as a Driller. secondary vocational education; admission to perform work on drilling wells over 5,000 meters deep, horizontal wells over 2,000 meters deep or when drilling wells with submersible drilling rig; certificate of Driller 8th grade and certificate of Workover Driller 8th grade (if required) Having minimum 2 years work experience working on a rig Basic information on the geology of oilfields and technology for the development of oil, gas, and other; - Engineering and geological program flow diagram; - Geological cross-section of the drilled area, information on well design;
- People Management Provides team with a clear sense of direction and objectives; creates a stable and re-assuring work atmosphere; supports employment development through coaching, Highly integrated with strategic talent management processes including performance management, succession planning, talent development, and engagement/retention, etc. Get results through people.
- Effective Communication Communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; listens attentively and objectively.
- Personal Accountability Demonstrates enthusiasm for and commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions. Takes pride in the job. Actively engages in professional self-development opportunities. Demonstrates professionalism and emotional intelligence across situations.
- Flawless Execution Clearly defines priorities and objectives. Uses a systematic approach with commitment and determination to achieve high quality results. Capably leads the business day-to-day and evaluates the risks and rewards new opportunities present.
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Ability to perform under stress, under pressure, and/or in emergency situations.
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Parker Wellbore provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran's status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.