Skills: IT - Software Development
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Staff Software Engineer position serves as a vital member of the Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group. Staff Engineers are expected to function as lead or key contributors on software and engineering efforts and proposals. This role is vital to producing software solutions that meet electrical, mechanical and CONOPs needs.
OTECH produces and maintains unique underwater systems - typically for US Navy and other US Government Department of Defense customers. Our projects are all one-of-a-kind. Projects range from quick burn to lifecycle management of fielded systems. This position would be expected to handle the entire range of need, and ideally have a solid depth of understanding of underwater technologies, including electronics, embedded computers, electrical/power, and mechanical systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply working knowledge of the software lifecycle to develop and lead software efforts.
- Make and implement decisions for designing and maintaining software architecture.
- Lead small software development teams .
- Actively interface with the electrical and mechanical leads, customer, and program manager
- Ensure project CDRL's are delivered and accepted by the customer. This includes requirements management, software documentation, unit testing, software safety testing, and software qualification testing.
- Lead trade studies for hardware such as navigation units, board stacks, and power monitors .
- Support software testing on the factory floor, offsite, and offshore .
- Perform analysis of user requirements, concept of operations documents, and high-level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications.
- Guide system development and implementation planning through preparation of concept of operations, interfaces control documents, hazard analysis, and test plans and procedures.
- Display excellent technical judgment, attention to detail, and ability to look at the "big picture" in system design.
- Demonstrate ability to devise innovative solutions to problems when conventional solutions are insufficient.
- Review progress and evaluate results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Prepare reports and presents results to management and client.
- Schedules can be demanding throughout the year and occasional work outside normal working hours should be anticipated .
Staff Engineers are also expected to take a leadership role within the software group. This includes helping craft and enforce policies and procedures for software development, and mentorship of junior team members.
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering or related technical field. Commensurate experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- 15+ years of practical experience in software engineering.
- Experience with the following programming languages: C, C++, C# and/or Java.
- Experience in the field of ocean engineering.
- Experience with Linux OS and bare metal firmware.
- Experience with microprocessors and single-board computer (SBC) based control systems.
- Experience with Python or other scripting languages.
- Ability to implement and debug communication protocols including: UDP and multicast, TCP, serial protocols, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc.
- Experience participating in proposals.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft 365 environment.
- Solid written and oral communications skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Experience developing in underwater vehicle software frameworks and expanding framework capabilities.
- Experience with mechanical actuation and valve packs.
- Experience with Qt.
- Ability to setup simple bench testing environments for communication links, board power, analog devices, etc.
- Understanding of fiber optic communications.
- Proficiency with oscilloscopes, multimeters, and OTDR.
- Experience with Jira and Git.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact employees, workplaces, families and communities, many of Oceaneering's clients are requiring that all individuals working at their sites be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, including employees of Oceaneering and other contractors. Accordingly, only individuals who are, or are willing to be, fully vaccinated before their start date are eligible for this position. Any applicant selected for this position will be required to prove that they are fully vaccinated prior to their start date.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.