Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Staff Engineer has mastery of multiple core engineering principle and advanced knowledge of related engineering fields. The Staff Engineer independently directs and technically manages engineering and design activities under the guidance of a Project Manager and is responsible for tracking progress and technical adequacy of the design solution. The Staff Engineer interacts with all OTECH departments as necessary to provide engineering support to OTECH manufacturing, integration, and test activities, and provides work leadership for lower level employees. Experience in maritime and/or subsea engineering is highly desired.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and supervise an interdisciplinary design team of engineers, designers, drafters, technical writers, and technicians.
- Provide supervision and technical leadership for lower level employees.
- Review progress and evaluate results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Coordinate and direct engineering projects that may include a variety of complex features and design requirements.
- Review and approve objectives, schedules, and estimates for difficult assignments.
- Estimate resource requirements to meet technical and scheduling objectives.
- Review completion and implementation of technical products.
- Ensure that customer requirements are systematically converted into total system solutions.
- Analyze and develop design approaches for complex engineering projects.
- Demonstrate excellent technical judgment and appreciable independent evaluation and ingenuity.
- Make independent decisions to resolve engineering problems and methods.
- Develop and apply advanced engineering design methods, theories, and research techniques within related fields.
- Conduct investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
- Interact with customer representatives to define and manage customer expectations.
- Participate in Technical Working Groups to assess and improve ADTECH processes and capabilities.
- Assist in bid and proposal efforts by providing cost estimations, technical approach definitions, and schedule data.
- Evaluate vendor capability to provide required products or services.
- Domestic and international travel, including shipboard operations.
- Execute other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering, from an accredited institution.
- 10 to 20 years of practical experience in mechanical engineering.
- 5 or more years of management experience leading multidisciplinary design teams.
- Ability to obtain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearance preferred).
- Demonstrated and well-developed leadership qualities.
- Capable of managing technical aspects of important and complex projects.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Excellent analytical skills for preparing and reviewing technical and project reports.
- Advanced knowledge and practical application of engineering principles within all related engineering fields of the company.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Ocean Engineering or a related field, from an accredited institution.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with awareness of the "system" perspective.
- Strong communication, organizational and technical writing skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
- Experience in mathematically modeling mechanisms or performing mechanism analytics.
- Knowledge and/or experience in the marine industry, fielding Ship Board systems and associated technologies.
- Hands-on abilities for assembling mechanical components.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.