Skills: QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 30 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Understand and enforce the Quality Assurance (QA) program to ensure company production efforts are in compliance with customer directives, requirements and specifications. Strong analytical skills required. Travel and overtime may be required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides sound and independent judgment to execute company policies and procedures in support of projects/contracts.
- Resolves issues, through direct interaction with program managers, department managers, project managers, supervisors, and customers which may impact product quality, delivery, schedules or costs.
- Formulates, through original and independent thinking, methods and processes which improve safety, quality or production, or decrease costs.
- Is self-motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and has effective interpersonal skills when interfacing, coordinating and dealing with customers and company personnel.
- Enforcing an effective QA program that meets all the requirements of the Submarine Safety Requirements Manual, the System Certification Procedures and Criteria Manual for Deep Submergence Systems, the OII-MSD Quality Management Systems Manual, and other higher level authority guidance.
- Performing the duties and responsibilities set forth in the company QA Manual and all other higher level authority guidance.
- Maintaining personal QA training and qualifications to support all aspect of production.
- Verify and witness all torqueing evolutions that are required to be documented in Block 8 of a QA-34 form. Ensure the torqueing evolution is recorded as required and sign the document certifying that it has been completed.
- Verify and witness the installation of all New Level 1 Material. Ensure all new Level 1 material is properly documented on the installation record and sign for its installation as required.
- Verify and witness all testing required for REC Certification. Ensure testing is documented correctly in accordance with current quality requirements and sign the testing records as required.
- Verify and witness all Controlled Assemblies which are required to be documented. Sign the assembly documents so that the records can be used to certify the work performed.
- Provide updates to the REC log when assigned to a project to ensure it is maintained in accordance with current requirements.
- Enforcing an effective Audits and Surveillances program by performing surveillances as assigned.
- Enforcing an effective Calibration Program by ensuring that only calibrated tools/equipment with intact serialized identification, calibration, and calibration void seal stickers are used were required. This responsibility includes overseeing the removal of any tool or piece of equipment which is out of calibration or has faded or broken seals and/or stickers from service.
- Performing the QA tasks related to the performance of Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE), Deep Submergence Systems (DSS) Scope of Certification (SOC), Diver's Life Support System (DLSS) SOC, Level I, and other controlled work.
- Ensuring that all QA forms, Test documents, Task Group Instructions (TGI), URO MRC's, and any other form of Objective Quality Evidence (OQE) requiring initials, signatures or any other verifiable form or acknowledgement of completion are done so in accordance with all applicable manuals, instructions, contracts and other higher level authority requirements.
- Providing process improvement recommendations and recommended changes to the company Quality Program and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES WHEN WORKING OFFSITE
Due to possible limitation in the number of company personnel assigned to offsite projects, QI's may be required to perform other task including, but not limited to:
- Controlled Material handling and stowage
- TGI review for closing
- Maintaining Weld Rod Oven logs and inventory
- Installing changes and updates to TGI's and REC's
- Perform Audits and Surveillances on the project while maintaining a database of the results.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
The above list is only a representative sample of what the Quality Inspector is required to do. The Quality Inspector may perform other special projects or duties as required to support business needs. QI's may be required to perform other task including, but not limited to, Controlled Material handling and stowage, TGI review for closing, Maintaining Weld Rod Oven logs and inventory, installing changes and updates to TGI's and REC's, perform Audits and Surveillances on the project while maintaining a database of the results.
High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional mechanical vocational courses; or High School/GED with extensive military training and experience in mechanical and/or electrical systems and quality assurance/control requirements or management/supervisory experience in submarine and/or ship repair.
*** Important Note: When applying, resume MUST specifically list candidate's years of experience with the three requirements listed, below. Most importantly, our hiring team must be able to see years of experience as a SUBSAFE Quality Inspector listed in chronological order on resume. Resumes without this information in this format cannot be considered. ***
- Five (5) years specialized experience as a SUBSAFE and Level I systems/components QA Inspector as required by the organizational certification by Commander Naval Sea Systems Command.
- Three (3) years of experience in performing quality assurance and control inspection on naval ship Hull, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronic, and/or Ordinance systems for specification and engineering drawing requirement compliance.
- Five (5) years shop experience that has provided a practical knowledge of quality assurance programs, quality control inspection systems, and machining skills and a detailed knowledge of shop procedures, processes, methods and techniques.
Working knowledge of Deep Submergence Systems (DSS), Quality Management (ISO/ASQ) programs, NAVSEA Standard Items, and NSWCPD process and procedural requirements is desired.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The shipyard/base/manufacturing work environment; the site may contain mobility barriers with uneven ground level and obstructed pathways. Climatic and environmental conditions at the job site will be indoor/outdoor climate environment with various temperatures and noise levels caused by various tasks normally accomplished in an industrial setting, tools, machinery, equipment, and etc.
Employee may be required to do the following: ability to access and work in confined spaces,reaching in all directions, handling and manipulating objects and materials; coordinating the movement of eyes, hands and fingers to operate machines and equipment; lifting 50 lbs from ground level, waist level, and/or overhead; carrying objects, etc.; ascending/descending inclined ships gangways; climbing ladders, standing; crawling, squatting, bending, sitting; walking; seeing with or without correction; hearing with or without correction; following set procedures and standards; applying basic mathematical skills; following oral and/or written directions; reading; writing; ability to recognize and report safety hazards. Protective equipment will be required to be worn at all times. This is Medium work.
(Exerting up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 to 25 pounds of work frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work).
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.