Skills: Ships Engineer, Ships Mate / Officer
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: United States, US
Title: Chief Mate - OE Assurance Team
Department: Operations Excellence - Marine
Reports to: Port Captain
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Act as a subject matter expert and member of the Offshore Excellence assurance team. Responsible to identify operational risk profiles, workstream inefficiencies, and best practices to implement practical solutions through a collaborative peer-to-peer survey program.
• Prefer BS / College Degree in Maritime Deck Transportation from four year Maritime College or
• USCG Unlimited Tonnage Chief Mate upon Oceans or equivalent and Flag State endorsement.
• Command experience as a vessel chief mate.
• SSO Certificate from a recognized school.
• Experience as Navigational Watch Officer on vessels over 3000 GRT.
• Prefer experience as a DPO. (At minimum DP training to IMCA phase 3)
• Strong leadership, communication, motivational, and management skills
• Moderate to strong computer skills with Stability Programs, Word, Excel, information systems and
• computer control consoles.
• Good working knowledge of all regulatory protocols.
• Prefer deck experience in offshore drilling.
• Experience in marine environmental and hazardous material regulations and procedures.
• Experience in offshore marine operations, industrial environment, and drilling operations.
• (Experience in Drilling Operations preferred not mandatory as most mariners are from shipping
• Required to be in previous organizational function for at least 1-year per current job description.
• Committed to OE peer group assurance team for a of minimum of 1-year. This comprises of working an offshore rotation in various worldwide geographical areas over the term.
• Selected by management as a candidate with attributes consistent with having a passion for improvement and procedural discipline.
• Act as a SME (subject matter expert) in one of three fields: drilling, technical, or marine - as a member of the OE peer group assurance team.
• Have a high level of commitment to drive organization performance by ensuring proper outcomes regarding maintenance activities, safety critical, environmental critical, and operational critical elements.
• Required to attend various MODU, as part of a larger team of SMEs, to include drill ships, semi-submersibles, and jack-up rigs across all geographical locations.
• Identify areas of improvement to enhance safety, operating, and maintenance policies through the OE self-assurance team framework by recording finding and proposing solutions.
• Actively drive question sets by participating in workshops, performance reviews and/or trending outcomes.
• Be an integral part of the assurance framework by identifying practical datapoints to inspect and record as part of the improvement process, to include but not limited to the following: MOC, TAB status, safety case major hazards, and procedural discipline.
• Responsible to conduct a meeting with the Senior Rig Management Team upon arrival at the subject MODU to ensure a full understanding of internal peer group survey content requirements and commitments.
• Ensure MODU personnel understand the purpose of the peer group survey by standing up in daily meetings and encourage active discussions.
• Responsible to conduct a meeting with the Senior Rig Management Team at conclusion of vessel attendance to discuss observations and opportunities for improvement.
• Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills including dealing with conflict and maintaining workflows to achieve survey objectives.
• Provide support to the Port Captain in the development and execution of surveys and resulting findings to develop plan of action.
• Lead on the company's safety management system through the continuous review of policies.
• Interact with personnel throughout the Company conveying the company's guiding principles of integrity, objectivity, innovation, excellence, and teamwork.
• Effective at managing, guiding, and supporting OE assurance survey team.
• Adept at working in a culturally diverse environment.
• Support ISM and ISPS Compliance.
• Have a working knowledge of the OCIMF OVID inspection criteria.
• Participation in the company's HSE policies and campaigns is essential.