Skills: Construction Manager
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Seminole, Texas, United States
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Head of Construction to support our Facilities Construction Group. The position has a broad scope therefore the successful candidate will be required to be based in the United States (no relocation assistance is provided), with the ability to travel nationwide up to 25% of the time. The ideal candidate would be based near Seminole, TX, however remote work is possible.
The Head of Construction is responsible for the operation of the Construction Function within an assigned
Drives and assures delivery excellence in construction activity across assigned region. Accountable for
management and development of construction resources and governance of construction practices and
procedures. Has oversight of the performance of all construction activity in their assigned region.
The Head of Construction leads by example, consistently displaying and enforcing the Company's values
and behaviours, role modelling commitment to the highest standards of safe and ethical behaviour and
creating an inclusive work environment., to ensure safe and reliable operations, on-time delivery of
executed work, and client satisfaction.
Construction & Commissioning Delivery & Performance
• Drive HSSEA culture and performance, with particular emphasis on site-based projects and HSSE input to design to minimise site risk
• Ensure the safe and secure delivery of projects.
• Ensure that Construction Managers manage their scopes effectively in line with company policies and procedures and within the requirements of contracts signed by clients
• Ensure that risk management process is followed on projects
• Ensure construction proposals and projects are resourced with suitably qualified personnel in line with the requirements of the proposal and the project
• Manage utilisation of resources vs workload to minimize non-prodictive time
• May act as a sponsor for allocated projects
Strategy and Development / Business Development
• Provide support to the business development process to identify and win new work for the business
• Identify and pursue opportunities for margin enhancement
• Lead development of the Construction Management team
• Provide construction input to proposals to demonstrate capability and identify appropriate key
• Provide technical input to bids and bid reviews including identification and support of subject matter
People and capability
• Line Management of direct reports and oversight of all construction resources in the region. Line management responsibility includes pay reviews, performance reviews, career progression, training and development.
• Identify and communicate the actions needed to implement the construction group's strategy; explain the relationship to the broader organization's mission, vision and values; motivate people to commit to these
• Determine future resource and capability requirements within the construction group to deliver current and future projects. Support recruitment and selection of senior and key roles. Identifies gaps within the technical skill set and pursues opportunities to upskill
• Oversee formal development framework for the construction function, ensuring effective planning and delivery of career development for construction resources takes place
• Accountable for ensuring appropriate and effective competence assurance across construction group
• Manage and report on the performance of a substantial, diverse team; set appropriate performance objectives for direct reports and wider construction & commissioning team members and hold them accountable for achieving these; take appropriate corrective action where necessary to ensure the achievement of team objectives.
• Create a positive working environment for diverse construction resources to flourish, ensuring recruitment, selection and development processes are inclusive and free from bias
• Ensure the development of personnel to take more senior roles as their career progresses.
• Lead allocation of construction resource to projects and provide support to resource projects within the wider organisation.
Governance, Policies and Procedures
• Be familiar with current technical applications within Wood and manage the optimisation of their use in construction projects
• Participate in Project and Proposals Management reviews
Skills / Qualifications
- Typically required qualifiications to minimum ISCED Level 6 (Bachelor's) degree in science or engineering, or equivalent level of expertise gained though on the job experience
- Chartered Membership of relevent Institute/Association OR Licenced Professional Engineer or equivalent.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Significant broad and deep knowledge and experience of construction of complex projects,
- typically gained through extensive construction experience in the relevant industry sector
- Strong project based delivery experience; strategic thinking; oral and written communication
- Proven leader in delivering work safely
- Experienced in project delivery
- Experience and understanding of engineering, procurement, construction tools and processes
- Broad understanding of the business drivers for Wood clients
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.