Skills: Accounting, LNG
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
Job Summary / Purpose
Golden Pass LNG, a joint venture between ExxonMobil and QatarEnergy, has the vision to be the premier LNG export company in North America. It is our mission to bring clean energy from Texas to power the world. We seek to do that in a way that values safety, integrity, our people, community, and the environment. In order to achieve these goals, we are bringing together a diverse team of experienced and talented professionals eager to help us build the premier energy finance team in North America. Headquartered in Downtown Houston, the finance organization expects to grow in size by more than 50% over the next several years as we ramp up towards full LNG production. If you want to play a role in building a high performing team and have the background, experience, and qualifications to help us reach these goals, we encourage you to submit your application today.
Reporting into the Supply Finance Controller, the Commodity Accounting Manager is a key member of the Commodity Finance Controller team as well being a member of the overall Finance Extended Leadership Team. The Commodity Accounting Manager is charged with expertly leading the accounting and reporting function for all natural gas supply and LNG sales activities, including commodity inventories, supply asset lease accounting and all mark to market income statement and balance sheet presentation. As Golden Pass approaches construction completion and startup, a key focus is on system and process design, accounting policy documentation and agreement, as well as enduring steady state accounting policies and procedures.
Essential Duties / Functions
- Partner with the Commodity Finance Controller to develop commodity accounting and reporting best practices working closely with Product Control, Commodity Settlements, Commercial and Corporate Financial Planning & Reporting teams
- Build and lead a team of commodity accounting and reporting professionals to effectively deliver team responsibilities; coach and mentor to deliver continued growth and build capability
- Ensure the commodity accounting and reporting team have clear and well understood processes and procedures to deliver commodity related accounting and reporting that is accurate, timely and compliant with US GAAP accounting standards
- Deliver fit for purpose systems and tools to support Commodity Accounting's responsibilities
- Advise their team and the business on the latest in US GAAP pronouncements and their implications and appropriate application to Golden Pass
- Collaborate with finance, planning, leadership teams, and shareholders to quantify and explain impacts of hedging and mark-to-market transactions on reported financial results.
- Work seamlessly with the overall Finance team owning all commodity related accounting and financial statement presentations, ensuring they are accurately and appropriately captured and reflected
- Play an active role in the design and delivery of future systems including the new SAP S4/Hana ERP system, the Endur ETRM system, and important interfaces between systems as well as other systems that may be required to deliver the commodity reporting accountabilities; ensure systems are fit for purpose for team responsibilities
- Escalate any areas of concern or material judgment to discuss and agree best path forward ensuring transparency and supported outcomes when dealing with material issues
Minimum education required of the position.
- A bachelor's degree in accounting with an advance degree (e.g., MPA) a plus
Minimum experience required of the position.
- 10+ years of commodity accounting and financial reporting experience in the North American Energy market under US GAAP reporting standards
- Strong knowledge of and experience with commodity accounting and reporting, preferably involving derivative/mark to market accounting, lease accounting, and physical commodity treatment and presentation
- Experience working in a commodity trading environment or with commercial business development and logistics team members in a collaborative manner
- 7+ years' leadership experience in the commodity reporting arena with a proven track record of building strong teams
- Experience preferred in implementing ERP and ETRM systems and their front to back integration
- Technical accounting expertise, ideally including interpretation and application of ASC 815, ASC 820, and ASC 842
- Big four experience a plus but not required
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position.
- Technical Competency - Ability to understand and dissect complex gas supply, gas transportation and gas storage agreements as well as LNG offtake/sales agreements and ensure their proper financial reflection in company accounts and financial statements
- Communication - Able to take complex accounting requirements and results and communicate these in a clear and concise manner to all levels of the organization, including non-financial team members, building understanding and knowledge
- Partnership & Team Building - Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong relationships and seamless interfaces across the business, including front, middle and back office teams as well as with senior management
- Systems - Strong SAP/ETRM understanding including implementation and underlying process design
- Perspective - Maintains a strong professional network, both internally and externally, to understand internal strategies and direction of travel as well as emerging external finance and accounting issues and views ensuring Golden Pass commodity accounting is always forward thinking and on the front foot
Required job competencies of the position.
- A professional self-starter who is results-focused with technical accounting and system leveraging expertise
Any certificates, licenses, etc. required for the position.
- Licensed CPA
- Normal Office Environment
- Normal Office Environment
- Not all aspects of the job are covered by the description - may require "other duties as assigned."
- Job may change over time in accordance with business needs.
- Job description does not guarantee employment.
- Golden Pass LNG is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status."
Golden Pass LNG, a joint venture between ExxonMobil and QatarEnergy, is building an LNG export facility in Sabine Pass, Texas, with anticipated startup in 2024.
It is our mission to bring clean energy from Texas to power the world. We seek to do that in a way that values safety, integrity, our people, community, and the environment. In order to achieve those goals, we are bringing together a diverse team of experienced and talented professionals.
We offer fulfilling career opportunities, and we listen to, train, develop, and reward our employees on their journey of professional growth.