Skills: Pipeline Engineering
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Wood (trading locally as WOOD KSS LLP) is currently recruiting for a Head of Pipeline Department with extensive experience in the oil and gas petrochemical industry.
It is a corporate role looking after an engineering discipline. Reporting to Corporate Engineering Manager.
Contribute to the delivery of Engineering excellence through:
- Definition and approval of technical scopes
- Executing assigned scopes of work
- Providing discipline expertise to the business including Technical Authority responsibility where assigned
- Contributing to business growth
- Providing highly technical expertise
Technical expert/specialist who develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and services that are carried out by others. Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering designs, products, equipment and other engineering deliverables. Specialist who is recognized as a technical expert within the department or division of the company. Possesses a thorough knowledge of general principles and theories in a professional field, and contributes significantly to the solution of applied problems.
Provides professional direction and guidance on complex assignments or projects and guidance to business unit and divisional management. Solves complex non-recurring problems requiring formulating and testing hypotheses based on limited evidence or precedent; exercises seasoned business judgement in developing innovative business solutions.
Provides consultative direction to other functional areas or groups and across the organization, recognized as an authority in the company.
Exercises technical authority over groups of professional personnel. In addition to specialization, generally directs highly qualified professionals engaged in complex engineering deliveravbles, applications and
Provides technical reviews for complex projects within area of expertise.
Includes the most technically competent level of engineer within a discipline who serves as a senior technical specialist responsible for the efficient design and technical execution of the project or service line.
Involved in providing engineering support to Business Development group and project teams.
Definition and approval of technical scopes
- Establishes scope of work for project or proposal, allocates and directs staff
- Develops and implements procedures, methods and controls to be used
Executing assigned scopes of work
- Develops design solutions according to requirements, to deliver products, equipment, materials, etc. of the highest standard.
- Directs scheduling, cost control and technical conformance during design phase of projects
- Coordinates activities with other groups and clients
- Continuous promotion of, and adherence to, the discipline specific procedures and providing feedback for continuous improvement
- Participate in or lead incident investigations as required
- Participates in establishing design constraints
- Prepares engineering development proposals and feasibility studies
- May develop new or modified components, products, manufacturing processes, materials, and equipment
- Plans and carries out assigned projects, resolves most of the conflicts, coordinates work with others and interprets policy on own initiative
- Reviews technical feasibility of proposed solutions to engineering problems.
- Personally helps solve difficult technical problems.
- Anticipates potential problems, solves complex problems through creative thinking and creative use of internal and external resources both inside and outside of discipline expertise
- Acts to prevent conditions from getting out of hand or to resolve and issues as they see fit and reports immdiately
- Leads design reviews
- Tracks and reports on the metrics which indicate their disciplines progress on a project in relation to a plan
Providing discipline expertise
- Exercises considerable credibility, foresight and judgement in conceiving, planning and delivering initiatives
- Uses deep professional knowledge and acumen to advise functional leaders
- Works with project groups as an expert technical advisor on designs, processes and engineering methods
- Solves problems requiring application of research data in own and allied professional disciplines; exercises mature business judgment in devising practical, economical solutions
- Establishes the need for investigation and research and participates in the development of long-range plans and project goals
- Represent discipline on contract / project / service line
- Perform the role of Technical Authority when appointed to do so
- Proactively supports the introduction of innovation, new ideas and practices to improve overall performance
Contributing to business growth
- Contributes to business development through regular engagement, relationship building and delivery to clients, as well as identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand scope of work for Wood
- Represents the company as a thought-leader at conferences and other public events
- Supporting and supervising tasks delegated to direct reports
- Provides technical guidance and direction to less experieced staff
- Management of key stakeholders in the execution and delivery of contracted activities
- Provides coaching and mentoring for less experienced staff, supports the development and retention of motivated and competent people
- Directs work assignments, scheduling, and reviews of work in progress
- In consultancy business areas, may manage a portfolio of small projects, with responsibility for cost, schedule, resource allocation and risk
- Supervises delivery of subcontracted design engineering
- Provide appropriate HSSE leadership including compliance with site and office safety requirements and technical/design safety requirements
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in engineering discipline
- Chartership or relevant professional license/registration preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Typically requires extensive experience and accomplishments resulting in recognition as a technical expert in a particular field
- Typically requires supervisory experience and understanding of human relations, training, performance evaluation and health and safety
- Ability to affectively manage resources (personnel, equipment, materials) and inspire and motivate a team
- Ingenuity and initiative to coordinate problem resolution and to executive the schedule requirements within a team environment
- Effective communication skills with proficiency in technical writing and comprehensive documentation
- Possesses expert knowledge in more than one specialized field and broad knowledge of several related disciplines in the function
- Extensive knowledge of industry standards and specifications, engineering and construction practices
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory framework and associated legislation
- Demonstrate current knowledge with industry and technology development within discipline.
- Pursue continual professional development, maintaining own skills and knowledge
- Excellent technical writing, communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of relevant regulatory framework and legislation
- Proficient in scope definition
- Possess a good knowledge of the various Business Units, Functions, Sectors and services offered within business area, a good understanding of other Wood business offerings and ability to network and connect internal stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate clearly verbally and in written form
- Able to demonstrate team working skills
- High level of awareness and commitment to safety in all aspects of daily work. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Highly motivated and demonstrates personal initiative
- Possesses integrity, strong work ethic, positive attitude, and is dependable
- Adaptable and flexible to the changing needs of projects
- Team player that works well with supervisors, subordinates, peers and clients
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.