Skills: Engineering Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Engineering Manager, Electrical & Instrumentation for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
- Manage the Electrical and C&I engineering disciplines to ensure that output is in accordance with project
schedule, budget, safety, and client requirements and meets Company quality and legislative standards.
- Ensure implementation of and carry out Electrical and C&I engineering functions on designated studies
- Provide coaching and guidance to less experienced staff to increase technical competence of people, as
well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- Undertake principal reviews/audits to ensure that projects are in accordance with project / study
requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost - effective manner.
- Work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the company Health, Safety and
Environmental HSSEA policies, manuals, and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and
welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment
- To manage and facilitate, and conduct where appropriate, reviews of projects and designs to ensure that this meets the needs of the Customer, company and complies with regulatory authorities.
- Ensure that the quality of output of the department is in line with the needs of the Client, company and regulatory authorities.
- Provide technical and commercial guidance to engineers, overview design quality, design schedules, design budgets and perform detailed reviews and audits on critical aspects of projects
- Set man-hour budgets for Electrical & C&I engineering on projects and recommend the engagement of specialised consultants where required.
- Assign staff to projects as required
- Assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects/studies.
- Provide input to and review overall discipline resources plan and update regularly in consultation with Lead /Senior Engineers and Principal Electrical and C&I Engineers (or Project and Study Managers)
- Advise the Director of Engineering of personnel resourcing issues
- Produce engineering designs on designated studies and projects including design criteria, technical specifications, calculations, and other key documents in accordance with project and discipline standards, statutory regulations, good practice and company procedural requirements.
- Assemble information required for design functions and provide information to the design group for detailed design activities.
- Review equipment & installation contractor quotations and produce technical adjudications / recommendations. Ensure that the correct electrical & C&I equipment is specified and is in accordance with project requirements and agreed standards, and that the equipment sourced is within the stipulated
- Use of specialist engineering software to meet project requirements including ETAP and
- Provide engineering, construction and commissioning assistance, including site acceptance testing, on construction sites, or provide home-office assistance to site-based personnel on remote sites.
- Provide professional development planning for electrical and C&I Act as mentor for graduate engineers and to actively encourage professional registration to achieve registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA)
- Provide support and encourage continuous improvement and innovation. This would include the concepts and integrated engineering systems and use of 3D design tools.
- Act as the key link between the project team and the engineering discipline group
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams and Give input and provide feedback and support where necessary. Conduct performance reviews.
- Identify and manage continuous improvement activities within the department including the maintenance of company standards and procedures.
- Review feasibility studies documentation and Capex and man hour
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects
- Provide feedback on the quality, use and value of design systems used in design
- Chair and document regular E&I discipline meetings to ensure efficient communication with engineers
- Establish the key performance indicators of the E&I engineering group and use them to set individual goals and measure Undertake performance reviews of engineers including setting of individual objectives and development plans.
- Work with HR and the Director of Engineering to ensure best practice during recruitment, terminations and employee relations
- Provide input to proposals and man-hour estimates
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with equipment suppliers, contractors, system integrators and external consultants.
- Review CV's and participate in interviews of suitable
- Effective administration & coordination of the E&I discipline.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, B.Tech or National Diploma with a minimum of 15 years' experience.
- ECSA registered Professional Engineer or Technologist.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 15 years general engineering experience with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing business sector in the design office and field engineering.
- Well-developed understanding of Matrix management systems and organisational structures
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to problem-solve effectively
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets, and engineering design programs.
- M anagerial - leadership ability/skills with ability to delegate effectively
- Understanding of South African and common international standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Construction and commissioning site experience
- Good commercial contractual awareness/risk management skills
- Experience with other disciplines including processing plant construction, commissioning and operation
- Good verbal, written, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skill
- Motivating and empowering management style
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Pro-active attitude.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own workflow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.