Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Oceaneering Space Systems (OSS) is a precision engineering and manufacturing group which specializes in turn-key design, development, manufacturing, certification, maintenance, and testing of extra-vehicular and intra-vehicular (EVA & IVA) tools and equipment for astronauts; including life support and environmental control systems for space; robotic systems for military, space, and biological research; and thermal protection systems for launch vehicles. We also provide specialized engineering and support services in these areas, and astronaut training in NASA's Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Space Systems (OSS). This position is located in Clear Lake, Texas.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Report directly to the Electronics and Electrical Section Manager as part of a group of 50 other Electronics and Electrical Engineers
- Work with other EMI/EMC engineers in support of the Avionics Division at NASA Johnson Space Center
- Support EMI/EMC testing performed in the onsite EMI/EMC test chambers on various space-flight electronic hardware systems
- Work with the Test Director for EMC test projects to develop test criteria and procedures
- Oversee complete tests, perform tests, reduce the test data, and write the final test reports
- Write update briefings to management on any significant tests that are performed in the EMI facility
- Support EMC Test Readiness Reviews, EMI lab management, EMC analyses (analytical and numerical), Preliminary Design Reviews, and Critical Design Reviews
- Support design engineers with consultation and review of electronic circuitry and cable designs for EMC compliance
- Support projects in new modeling and simulation techniques for testing hardware
- Support design engineers in bench top lab EMI assessments
- Develop correlation equations to estimate pass/fail criteria in onsite EMI chambers
- Work in a laboratory environment, following standard operating procedures
- Perform other duties as required
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
- BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school and 4+ years of related engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and 4+ years of related engineering experience, or Ph.D. from an accredited engineering school and zero (0) years of related experience
- Sound experience with space, military or commercial EMI/EMC design, test planning, execution and mitigation
- Sound knowledge of and experience in EMI/EMC compliance design and testing per MIL-STD-461 standards
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with of all associated EMI/EMC laboratory test equipment including: Spectrum Analyzers, Radiofrequency (RF) Amplifiers, Signal Generators, EMI Receivers, Antennas, Directional Couplers, and Power Meters
- Understanding of and ability to specify electronic system test hardware such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, logic analyzers, function generators, electronic load banks, power supplies, power analyzers, network components etc.
- Basic understanding of RF design, circuit theory, and electromagnetic principles including: component and cable shielding, filters, magnetics, microwaves and antennas
- Experience reviewing schematics, PCB layouts, and mechanical designs for applying electromagnetic design mitigation - Ability to create test plans and write test reports per customer requirements
- iNARTE EMC/EMI engineer certification
- Experience with filtering, bonding, grounding, and shielding methods for EMI/EMC performance and compliance
- Experience with analysis tools such as SPICE, Matlab and Simulink, Mathcad, LabVIEW, and other EMI/EMC simulation and analysis tools
- Experience with generating EMI/EMC Control and Verification Plan
- Previous experience with NASA spaceflight project development in terms of Space Station Electromagnetic Emission and Susceptibility Requirements
- Experience in MIL-STD analysis of EMI testing results of Radiated and Conducted emissions and susceptibility
- Experience in EMI test setups including chamber test Antennas, test electronic equipment, and grounding setup
- Experience in analysis of corona effects, plasma effects, lightning protection, and bonding and grounding techniques
- Proficient in MS Office programs, particularly MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, OneNote and Outlook
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Lift up to 20 pounds
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and reaching
- Lift up to 10 pounds repeatedly
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact employees, workplaces, families and communities, many of Oceaneering's clients are requiring that all individuals working at their sites be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, including employees of Oceaneering and other contractors. Accordingly, only individuals who are, or are willing to be, fully vaccinated before their start date are eligible for this position. Any applicant selected for this position will be required to prove that they are fully vaccinated prior to their start date.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.