Skills: Metallurgist / Materials Engineering
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Staines-upon-Thames, England, United Kingdom
Wood is looking for a Principal Piping Material Engineer to help execute assigned work in accordance with the applicable Project Procedures and Standards, on safety and quality control, within the man-hour budgets and schedules assigned. This role will be based in the Staines office on an agency basis.
The Piping Materials discipline sits within our dedicated Piping Group. You will be given the opportunity to work on various FEED, EPC and PMC projects for local and international clients and become a pivotal member of the group.
- Develop the piping classes for all process and utility systems to compliment the needs of a project
- Compile specifications for fabrication, shop and field testing of piping systems
- Create and maintain all data sheets for process and utility valves
- Create a listing of piping special items / components, such as hose couplings, steam traps and valve interlocks
- Create, specify and maintain data sheets for piping special (SP) items, such that the items can be purchased
- Assist with the assembly of piping bulk material requisitions, defining all relevant documentation / requirements
- An awareness and understanding of non-destructive testing examination methods/requirements
- Display an awareness of corrosion characteristics and welding processes
- Review offers from suppliers and perform a technical bid evaluation of the materials offered
- Make a technical assessments and recommendations when required
- Post purchase order placement, review and approve supplier documentation for the related piping components
- Visit the suppliers premises to attend kick-off / alignment meetings, the testing of piping components or clarification meetings
- Liaise with the engineering disciplines: Piping Design, Stress Analysis, Process, Instruments, Static Equipment, Procurement and Material Control
- Liaise with the Lead Piping Engineer regarding the interpretation of the Client's specifications and standards
- Assist with the preparation of technical work practices to ensure consistent working methods
- Assist and deputise for the Lead Engineer in Planning, Progress Reporting, Manpower Loading and general administration activities on a project
Skills / Qualifications
- Technically qualified to Bachelors degree level and or qualification equivalent to IEng or Eng Tech registration
- Knowledge of the following codes: B31.1 Power Piping, B31.3 Process Piping, B31.4 Pipelines, B31.8 Gas Transmission
- Detailed knowledge and proven application in all aspects of Piping Materials
- Be able to develop safe and mechanically sound Piping routes
- Interface with other Engineering disciplines in the development of Piping systems
- Carry out other duties assigned by the Piping Department Manager
- Keep abreast of latest technology for piping materials and investigate technical acceptability of new products and methods.
- Keep aware of Wood methods for material take off and bulk material control as they affect specifications.
- Suggest ways to improve efficiency and service and to reduce costs.
- Participate in proposal activities as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.