Skills: Technical Writing
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it "faster to field" than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
The Senior Technical Writer develops and maintains technical documentation in a coordinated team management environment. This role requires interactions with managers and engineering staff in all departments. Must have the ability to support the creation of technical manuals in Microsoft Office applications, as well as digital SGML/SML manuals.
Documentation includes technical manuals, equipment manuals, operating and maintenance instructions/manuals, database entry, parts lists, assembly instructions, reports, appendices, and project proposals.
This position requires w orking knowledge of engineering standards and language and experience developing technical documentation in and engineering environment. Minimum three years of experience in the preparation and review of technical materials for publication, including writing maintenance, operations, troubleshooting, and set up/tear down procedures without source data.
This position will work on-site in our Hanover, MD office location.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct necessary research, including reading source material and meeting with subject matter experts (SMEs) as needed.
- Read and interpret engineering information and drawings.
- Write product descriptions, theory of operations, and other technical manuals and documentation.
- Write and edit documentation according to published department standards and procedures.
- Create simple illustrations and screen captures as needed. Coordinate the efforts of graphic designers for more complicated illustrations.
- Submit drafts to SMEs and peers; incorporate review comments into documents.
- Provide periodic status reports to Project Managers and Integrated Logistics Support Manager.
- Work with engineering team during new product development and production phases; author all associated publications from scratch with moderate supervision.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in English, Technical Writing, or Communications. Significant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum three years of experience in the preparation and review of technical materials for publication, including writing maintenance, operations, troubleshooting, and set up/tear down procedures without source data.
- Experience developing technical documentation in an engineering environment.
- Ability to work independently and in a small team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with all levels of the company and subcontractor organizations.
- Working knowledge of government and commercial contract requirements
- Working knowledge of Government publication standards for specifications and manuals.
- Working knowledge of engineering standards and language.
- Working knowledge of proposal formatting and language.
- Well-developed application software skills in Windows environment, with emphasis in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong research abilities.
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and data.
- Must be a US citizen
- Experience with large-scale commercial and/or military systems.
- Ability to obtain security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.