Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 12 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Secunda, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for Graduate Instrument Engineers for work within the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical industry.
- Assist in preparation of engineering deliverables such as (but not limited to) control philosophies, functional specifications, basis of design, etc under the mentorship of the Lead Engineer.
- Assist in preparation of material and contract requisitions including preparation of indirect and direct Bill of Quantities under the mentorship of the Lead Engineer.
- Preparation of requisition index for instrument work, indicating planned issue date for each requisition.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of national and international standards including client specific standards for application to engineering
- Gain an in depth understanding and give input into P&ID's and PFDs to ensure all C&I requirements are met.
- Develop design engineering drawings and assist the designers with engineering technical detail on drawings under the mentorship of the Lead Engineer and Principal Designer.
- Give input into instrumentation drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
- Prepare technical bid analysis for instrumentation for review by the Lead Engineer
- Attendance of P&ID, Hazop and SIL Reviews under the supervision of the Lead Engineer
- Attend coordination meetings and engineering review meetings with supplier as required by the Lead Engineer.
- Review and approve supplier documents for instrumentation.
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on Instrumentation engineering matters. Review instrumentation aspects of package unit supplier's drawings as requested by the engineer responsible for the equipment under the mentorship of the Lead Engineer
- Supervise and technically review all subcontractor engineering deliverables ensuring the required quality are met.
- Attend C&I Equipment FAT & SATs under the guidance of the Lead Instrument Engineer
- Follow up instrumentation construction work on project sites to ensure correct interpretation of designs regarding installation. Resolve any Instrumentation problems arising during commissioning.
- Perform C&I infrastructure site assessments and site support under the supervision of the Lead Instrument Engineer.
- Keep abreast of development in the instrumentation engineering field and aim for professional candidate engineer registration.
- Perform such duties as may be assigned by the Lead Instrument and Chief Instrument Engineer.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng (Electronics/Chemical) / BTech (Process Instrumentation)
- None to 2 years' experience
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Analytical thinking - Ability to identify issues, obtains relevant information, relate and compare data from
different sources and identify alternative solutions.
- Communication - Ability to present information to individuals or groups; ability to deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Ability to convey information clearly and concisely to groups or individuals either verbally or in writing to endure that they understand the information and the message. Ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
- Decision making - Knowledge of and ability to use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions. Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
- Problem solving - Ability to identify problems, determines possible solution, and actively works to resolve issues.
- Training - Ability to lead and guide others to develop new skills or knowledge that will enhance their work.
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions.
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view.
- Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges
information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and
ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions.
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.