Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently recruiting for a Radiation Protection Specialist/Health Physicist with extensive experience in the Nuclear industry, to join the Construction & Remediation group located in Port Hope, ON.
Radiation Protection Specialist/Health Physicist (RPS/HP) is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the site's radiation protection program. Routine activities include, but not limited to:
- Measurement of gamma radiation fields and determination of zoning.
- Development of surface contamination survey programs using a combination of radiation detectors or swipe sampling.
- Direction for RP staff on the collection of airborne monitor samples .
- Management of personal dosimeters for the workforce.
- Management of airborne radiological monitors for the workforce.
- Ensure control and calibration of all radiation detection equipment.
- Prepare training materials and delivery of training to site workers.
- Summary and analysis of routine data for compilation into routine reports.
- Overseeing Jr and Sr RP technicians and providing guidance on work tasks.
- Ensuring compliance with site radiation safety procedures by workers and visitors.
- Maintenance of RP facilities and equipment.
- Support the RP manager and site management teams to develop in field solutions to site specific issues as they arise.
- Additional tasks, as necessary.
The RPS/HP is expected to oversee the sites RP technicians and will require some outdoor work to ensure in field compliance by all staff on site.
All of this work will be done in a team environment (other RP staff, site staff, other employees and other individuals who are on site).
Skills / Qualifications
- Demonstrate an understanding of radiation safety principles consistent with their background and training.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate in English, both written and verbal to a variety of individuals with different education and skill levels.
- Ability to sort, compile and summarize routine data using typical Microsoft Office products such as Excel.
- Act as role model for compliance with the site radiation protection program.
- Perform all assigned tasks diligently and thoroughly assuring complete and accurate documentation as required.
- Provide constructive criticism of all RP staff to ensure positive development of skills.
- Have a working knowledge of basic RP instrumentation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of CNSC regulations and how to apply them to a working environment.
- Strong technical writing and reporting skills.
- Perform dose assessments for internal and external exposure to radiological hazards.
- Perform ALARA Dose Assessments and Planning for planned radiological activities.
- Understanding of dose assessments and how to correctly apply weighting factors for the purposes of dose reporting.
- Ability to generate radiation work permits for a variety of situations taking into account other organizational requirements related to operations, environmental, health and safety, etc.
- Demonstrated good judgement in fast paced environments.
- Knowledge of TDG Class 7 is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of activity assessments/characterization an asset.
- Possess a strong nuclear safety culture.
- Good time management.
- Bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering, radiation science or health physics (or related field) required.
- College diploma / certificate in radiation science or radiation protection (or related field) preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years experience needed for college and university graduates in a relevant field.
- Four (4) or more years of Operational Health Physics experience preferred.
- Radiation Protection Specialists/Health Physicists are generally not involved in tasks that would be considered heavy labour. The site is environmentally challenging with some temperature extremes involved (very cold to very warm). Precautions are always utilized in these cases. They will be expected to walk outdoors (sometimes in rugged terrain) regularly while carrying instrumentation. RPS will be expected to work in and around water. RP Specialists/HPs may be required to use ladders and work at heights.
- All RP staff must be capable of wearing PPE, including respirators if required. Site-specific radiation protection PPE will be provided.
- Must be able to obtain Federal Government Reliability Clearance, this requires that you have a minimum of five (5) years living & working in Canada as either a Permanent Resident or Citizen
- The site is nominally operated from sunrise to sunset Monday to Friday. Some overtime may be requested (e.g. before hours, after hours or occasional weekends). Adjustments based on the site requirements will be necessary from time to time. A typical shift includes paid time off for breaks and unpaid lunch periods.
Local candidates are preferred and will be given priority.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.