Skills: Marine Engineering, Navigator
Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Offshore VSAT Engineer is responsible for installing and testing VSAT systems offshore, providing onsite & remote technical support for the purpose of repair and maintenance of terrestrial systems and satellite earth stations/VSAT/ESV terminals in both fixed and stabilized environments at customer locations located anywhere in the world.
Location and Travel
- This position will require both Office work and Offshore work. Domestic and international travel up to 80%.
- Role provides the opportunity to work virtually when not offshore.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Installation, configuration, testing and troubleshooting communication equipment including satellite modems, transceivers, BUC's, LNB's, Stabilized antennas (SeaTel, Orbit, Intellian), and out of band management.
- Lead build and test activities prior to mobilization.
- Complete testing and commissioning procedures and paperwork to ensure system meets operational requirements.
- Work with Project Managers and Engineering Team to vet project requirements and feasibility.
- Troubleshoot RF and IP components of maritime VSAT/ESV systems using specialized software and test equipment. Interpret troubleshooting results and determine best course of action to restore operability in least time possible and most cost effective manner.
- Install, commission, and troubleshoot LAN infrastructure on offshore sites.
- Provide Tier III assistance and interface with iDirect & liaise with TAC for high level incident resolution when not on offshore assignment.
- Participate in customer meetings as required.
- Provides technical training and assistance to junior level personnel.
- Other assigned work as and when required to support operations and projects.
- Travel domestic and international up to 80%.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum seven (7) years working on VSAT technologies.
- Minimum (7) years' experience in engineering and operating TDMA and SCPC VSAT technologies.
- Minimum (7) years' experience using various RF tools (Spectrum Analyzer).
- Minimum (7) years' experience with the unique operational and technical complexities of VSAT systems.
- Minimum (7) years' experience with fiber, coax, cat5 and other layer 1 technologies.
- Minimum (5) years working in offshore environments.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Certification
- Intellian training
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Must be customer oriented.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent decision-making skills even in high stress situations.
- Ability to adapt to scope change and clearly assess impacts to schedule.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, and ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to address conflict with others constructively.
- Desire for growing technical knowledge.
- Ability to work as a team member, team lead and/or independently.
- Ability to develop and interpret block and level diagrams.
- Efficient in Spectrum Management Tools to isolate interference, noise level changes and satellite anomalies to include local and remote spectrum analyzers.
- Manages daily activities and sets performance goals accordingly.
- Available after hours and weekends as needed and willing to work on-call rotation.
- Ability to travel at last minute notice.
This position will require both Office work and Offshore work. Domestic and international travel up to 80 %.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered primarily Medium work, with occasional Heavy work.
- Lift 50-100 pounds
- Work in confined spaces
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection.
- Lift up to 25 lbs
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, standing, squatting, lift/carry objects and reaching
- Differentiate between colors
- Repetitive movements of arms and hands
- Sit with back supported
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.