Skills: Electrical Engineering
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Hanover, Maryland, United States
At Oceaneering, we do things differently, creatively, and smarter to solve our customer's toughest challenges, from routine to extreme.
- Connecting What's Needed with What's Next TM -
Oceaneering provides unique, high-tech and high-spec services and solutions to a diverse customer base in both the commercial and government sectors, including offshore oilfield, defense, aerospace, entertainment, material handling, renewable energy, and research applications.
We seek highly-motivated individuals to become an integral part of our elite engineering team. You will work on leading-edge applications in underwater robotics and automation in a dynamic, professional, fast-paced, and hands-on environment where you will stretch and expand your abilities with ample opportunities for advancement of talented people.
Our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, operating within Oceaneering's Aerospace and Defense Technologies (ADTECH) segment, designs, builds, and operates Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV), and related robotic and electromechanical systems creating solutions for operations in harsh-environments above and deep-under water.
OTECH is located at our ADTECH headquarters in Hanover, MD, close to Washington, DC, and our primary Department of Defense (DoD) customers, such as the U.S. Navy and DARPA.
We are growing our business. Prepare to grow with Oceaneering!
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH).
As a Titled Electrical Engineer (industry equivalent: Electrical Engineer 1/2) , serve as a vital member of the Oceaneering Aerospace and Defense Technologies (ADTECH) engineering team - an engineering center of excellence, and an exciting part of our dynamic, global enterprise. Within our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, you will be responsible for performing diverse activities associated with the development and implementation of complex power and control systems for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical systems, helping solve our customers' toughest challenges - typically for US Navy and other US Government Department of Defense customers.
Most of our projects are one-of-a-kind, which means you will never be stagnant and will always work on something new and compelling. And, by "work," we don't just mean "analyze and design" - most of our engineers do not simply sit behind a desk, but when the design is done choose to "get their hands dirty" assisting with building and testing their creations. At Oceaneering, we are committed to "making it work!"
The position will be based in our Hanover, MD office and will be hybrid-remote. Applicants are expected to be able to travel to the Hanover office as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Given requirements for a subsystem, generate proper designs and work to complete tasking with latitude to make decisions under limited supervision - individually and in a teamwork environment.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with awareness of the "system" perspective.
- Prepare and participate in regular design reviews.
- Work closely in concert with mechanical, software, and systems engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for assistance.
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise, competency, and responsibilities.
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree from an accredited university in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (or related field/curriculum having an Electrical concentration, such as Computer Engineering or Robotics Engineering).
- Entry level, knowledge and desire to gain practical technical experience in the creative (Electrical) engineering process, including participation in the concept, analysis, simulation, design, drawing, assembly, integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical, electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.
Typical Responsibilities Include Assisting Senior Engineers with:
- Select and integrate varying pieces of high-tech Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to interoperate well together, including designing necessary interfaces.
- Select and size current and latest available electrical and electronic components and wiring devices, such as signal conditioning, power supplies, control devices, switching devices, SSRs, safety devices, terminal blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling, dressing, etc.
- Select and interface components of industrial quality embedded microprocessor, single-board computer (SBC) based control systems, including defining necessary signals, sensors, and actuators, and selecting appropriate I/O; may also require some custom electrical designs where COTS components are either inadequate or unavailable.
- Design, interface, translate, and integrate various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their associated media and protocols in high-noise potential environments.
- DC power systems design.
- Calculate and estimate system power and energy requirements.
- Wiring, cabling, and grounding design for minimizing electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Good electrical drawing/drafting skills - accurately create and read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Experience in proper use and application of various standard electronic test equipment; e.g., DMM/multimeters, oscilloscopes, power analyzers, spectrum analyzers, communications analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters, etc.
- Experience with advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD), Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as Altium Designer, SPICE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MathCAD, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
- Good written and oral communications skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
Additional Desired Qualifications (supplemental/optional)::
- Knowledge/experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater) industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and related robotic and electromechanical systems; also sonar systems.
- Knowledge of applicable industry professional, technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC, MIL, etc.)
- Good practical technician skills (assembly, wiring, soldering, cabling, etc.)
- Knowledge/experience with fiber-optics.
- Knowledge/experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design.
- Knowledge/experience with brushless motor drives, robotics, and automation.
- Knowledge/experience designing, analyzing, and tuning closed-loop feedback control systems.
- Knowledge/experience with low-medium voltage, single- and 3-phase power systems (120, 240, 480, 3000+ VAC).
- Knowledge/experience applying machine safety systems and standards.
- Knowledge/experience with programming languages and/or script writing (software).
- Ability and flexibility to travel on occasion, typically pre-planned for up to one to two weeks at a time; may be within the US, outside the US, or offshore, onboard a boat.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.