Skills: Project Management
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions (Wood E&IS) is recruiting for a Project Manager/Senior Scientist to report to our Texas office, preferably Houston (but flexible). The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of consulting experience and at least 5 years managing natural resources, permitting, and/or NEPA projects. This position will appeal to individuals with a solid background in natural resources, permitting, and/or NEPA, with good technical writing skills, good work ethic, and genuine interest in career growth within a diverse team of professionals including wetland scientists, botanists, fisheries and wildlife biologists, NEPA specialists, and environmental permitting specialists. The successful candidate will manage projects in the power, infrastructure, and water resources sectors. Experience in direct communication with clients and coordinating with state, federal, and municipal governments is a plus. Work will be performed to support and maintain project/client compliance with environmental regulations such as Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting, the Endangered Species Act, and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Wood E&IS invites qualified applicants with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree or higher in the field of biology, ecology, botany, wetland science, or an equivalent discipline with 10-15 years direct work experience to apply for the position. A Master of Science (MS) degree and certification as a Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS) is preferred. Previous project management training and experience is required. Additional project management training may be required as needed to comply with Wood E&IS project manager requirements.
- Manage natural resources and planning projects, including environmental permit applications and associated documentation and reports for compliance with regulations such as Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and NEPA.
- Preparation of wetland delineation reports, permit applications, mitigation plans, impact assessments, and pertinent sections of NEPA documents (EA/EIS).
- Key client interface and agency coordination/consultation.
- Network with new and existing clients to effectively position for and develop work opportunities.
- Prepare contract proposals and cost estimates.
- Manage project contracts, staff, budgets, and schedules.
- Motivate, train, and mentor personnel assigned to his/her tasks or projects.
- Work effectively with team members as well as independently.
Skills / Qualifications
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of a BS degree in the field of biology, botany, wetland science, or an equivalent discipline, MS degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of applicable experience performing environmental permitting, wetland delineations and/or natural resources surveys with minimum 5 years managing projects.
- Project Management experience that includes management of scope, schedule, and budget as well as staff and discipline team leaders to effectively and efficiently execute permitting needs to meet client expectations and regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate would have experience managing across disciplines such as for cultural resources, water resources, air quality, and socioeconomics, as well.
- Understanding of and experience with development of Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans and inspections would be beneficial.
- Good taxonomic knowledge of Midwest native flora, especially wetland flora is desired.
- Applicant will have strong oral and interpersonal communication skills and excellent writing skills (must be prepared to provide a recent example of a professional document, such as Wetland Report, EA, etc., showing the portion(s) of the document written or co-authored by the applicant).
- Demonstrated ability to manage project teams as well as scope, schedule, and budget.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop business, including cross-selling other disciplines, from new and existing clients.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.