Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Electrical Engineer with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- Carry out electrical and instrumentation engineering functions on designated studies and projects in a timely and cost-effective manner and ensure technical quality of work produced is in accordance with safety and operational requirements and complies with the latest international and local standards, Regulations and Acts and meets project and Client standards.
- To coordinate and supervise design functions within a project /study context.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the company Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Accuracy, completeness of technical content of calculations, specifications and reports by Principal review.
- Performance against schedules, i.e. ability to prioritise and produce own work in a timely manner to assist other roles to complete on time.
- Thorough knowledge of company design procedures, the design process, design systems available, engineering standards and effect of design process on project process.
- Plant constructability and commissioning ease.
- Communication and delegation skills.
- To actively pursue excellent Health, Safety and Environmental performance standards and to encourage all staff to achieve or outperform the indicated HSE KPI's of the company
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Prepare technical specifications, contract specifications, design criterion and other documents required by the project / study.
- Responsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study.
- Review and comment on documents from electrical & instrumentation discipline and from other disciplines.
- Produce designs in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good practice and company procedural requirements.
- Review equipments & installation contractors and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Produce project filing system which is maintained, kept up to date in a discipline or project system which all project design personnel utilise.
- Review vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Compare procurement costs against budget and provide feedback to estimating.
- Estimate, control and review design scope changes.
- Provide feedback on the quality, use and value of design systems used in design
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input to vendor's test documentation.
- Produce site inspections, functionality testing and commissioning documentation.
- Assist with plant installation and commissioning.
- Prepare project close out reports with comparison of design and procurement budgets.
- Liaise with client to ensure that agreed designs are in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Respond to technical queries from projects, client and site.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context in the 3D environment.
- Allocate work and provide assistance to discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies.
- Provide input to proposals and manhour estimates
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or B. Tech in Engineering or National Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum of 10 years experience.
- ECSA registered
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years design experience in the mining and minerals processing industry.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning.
- Good verbal, written, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and in-house engineering programmes.
- Good organizational, administration and time management skills
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.