Skills: Process Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for Senior Process Engineer with extensive experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects in Sasolburg and Secunda
- Ensure that process engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with the procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa
- Carry out design work for a unit or units as required by the Lead Process Engineer in accordance with the agreed project schedule Supervise the work of assigned subordinates on the project
- Advise HOD / Principal Process Engineer of deficiencies and possible changes to the established design methods, standards and data Accept responsibility as requested for development and maintenance of expertise in specific areas of technology
- Advise HOD / Principal Process Engineer of possible fields for technical investigations and computer programs Carry out technical investigations, including development of computer programs and produce technical reports as and when required
- Provide progress report information, at the required frequency and with the required content, to the Project Engineer.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Keep informed, by all possible means, of technical developments in process industries and make recommendations to Chief / Principal Process Engineer on methods of improving South Africa competitive position from a technical standpoint.
- Deputise for Chief / Principal Process Engineer as requested.
- Keep Chief / Principal Process Engineer informed as to progress of assigned engineers and their potential for accepting increased responsibility.
- Ensure that the requirements of Licensor's / Client's Secrecy Agreements are known and complied with in the work performed
- Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Advise the Lead / Chief / Principal Process Engineer of any deviations and their causes and proposed corrective action.
- Advise the Lead/ Chief / Principal Process Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Notify the Project Engineer of all deficiencies in the flow of data or other basic information required for execution of work.
- Provide information, where necessary, for estimating the cost of contract changes. Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to constitute a contract change.
- Carry out simulations of processes using simulation packages such Aspen, Pro II and Hysys. Review and check simulations.
- Establish the basis of design and make detailed calculations to develop the design and be responsible for the accuracy of these calculations. Check and approve calculations.
- Ensure that detail design methods, standards and data used meet the Client's requirements and/or those issued by the company.
- Prepare process flow diagrams, equipment specifications and process descriptions. Review and approve process flow diagrams, equipment specifications and process descriptions.
- Complete thermal designs / ratings for shell and tube exchangers and air coolers and thermal design data sheets. Review and approve thermal designs.
- Prepare process specification for instrumentation and control, including control narratives, for review and approval by the lead process engineer. Review and approve process specifications.
- Complete hazardous area classification notes and review area classification drawings. Review and approve hazardous area classification notes.
- Prepare comment issue engineering flow diagrams. Review engineering flow diagrams(EFD's) and submit comments to lead process / project engineer. Prepare contract engineering design (CED's) documents, as required, to communicate changes / design information
- Prepare process summaries and schedules (effluents & emissions, chemicals & catalysts, utilities, battery limits and, relief and blowdown). Review and approve process summaries and schedules.
- On request, review Supplier's quotations from a process engineering standpoint. On order placement, review Supplier drawings and documents and provide comments.
- Participate in EFD reviews, HAZOP's and any other design reviews.
- Participate in review of project model.
- Act on comments from reviews and studies to close out all actions arising from these reviews and studies
- Prepare operating manuals.
- File process calculations and other documents in the proper manner at the conclusion of design work.
- Provide process support to the other engineering disciplines and construction.
- Participate in technical sales activities as requested.
- Perform such duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Chief / Principal Process Engineer.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, BTech (Chemical)
- 10 Years minimum experience
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Analytical thinking - Ability to identify issues, obtains relevant information, relate and compare data from different sources and identify alternative solutions.
- Communication - Ability to present information to individuals or groups; ability to deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Ability to convey information clearly and concisely to groups or individuals either verbally or in writing to endure that they understand the information and the message. Ability to listen and respond appropriately to others.
- Decision making - Knowledge of and ability to use effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions and/or reaching conclusions. Ability to take action consistent with available facts, constraints and anticipated consequences.
- Problem solving - Ability to identify problems, determines possible solution, and actively works to resolve issues.
- Training - Ability to lead and guide others to develop new skills or knowledge that will enhance their work. Ability to design, develop and/or deliver training programs.
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.