Skills: Metallurgist / Materials Engineering, Materials Management
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Mining & Minerals business performs consulting and EPCM services for many of the world's leading mining companies and is executing world-class projects on five continents.
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for a Lead Materials Handling Engineer to join our Mining & Minerals team. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, t his role has overall responsibility for handling discipline leadership, ensuring all designs are prepared in accordance with regulation and code and providing mentoring and training to junior and intermediate staff. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Conceptual, feasibility and detailed design of bulk material handling systems, including the specification and procurement of conveyors, crushers, large storage bins, transfers, chutes and feeders for above-ground and underground applications. Develop specifications and contract documents
- Review or prepare data and running design programs such as 'Sidewinder' for conveyor design, and DEM software for transfer points, and dust collection systems
- Responsible to seal all drawings that have been prepared under their direction as required in jurisdiction where professional designation is recognized
- Review and approve vendor/fabricator shop drawings and technical documents
- Collaborate with all other disciplines to interface large mechanical equipment packages and systems with civil works, structural steel, power supply, instrumentation and controls, and mechanical services. Interface with Piping Designers, Plant Layout Designers, Process, Civil, Structural, Electrical and Instrumentation Engineers to ensure success of a project
- Coordinate the activities of a team of engineers and designers assigned to a project, provide technical supervision of the day-to-day activities of task assigned personnel, and report progressing of deliverables and schedule
- Assist in proposal preparation related to bulk material handling scope
- Ensure all designs and documentation are prepared in accordance with MSHA regulations as well as local codes. Familiarity with CEMA guidelines
- Develop and maintain communication channels with clients, stake holders, and internal Wood personnel to ensure that work flows smoothly and that we are providing first class engineering services
- Mentor and train junior and intermediate Wood personnel in materials handling
- Efficiently and effectively managing multiple tasks independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, along with the ability to register as a B.C. Professional Engineer
- More than 15 years increasing responsibility and experience in the design of bulk material handling projects in surface or underground mining or similar industries
- Experience with conveyor calculation software such as 'Sidewinder' is required. Proven ability with hand calculations for conveyors and other bulk material handling equipment. Experience with bulk material discrete element modeling (DEM) flow software such as 'Newton' is considered an asset
- Ability to provide technical leadership for material handling projects for surface and underground mining projects
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Able to work as part of a team
- High degree of accuracy and able to manage multiple details under tight deadlines and pressure
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.