Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Hermiston, Oregon, United States
Lead Estimator will be responsible for preparation, review, and submission of accurate estimates of how much it will cost and the schedule to provide a client or potential client with services. This ensures accurate budgeting and planning can take place, supports the robust control of projects throughout their lifecycle to ensure the project can be delivered profitably.
Leads the estimating team in the management and development of contract or project estimating schedule norms and the preparation and filing of project estimate documentation. May act as the focal point for several project scopes.
Responsible for identifying areas of best practice and driving continuous improvement within the Estimating team.
Skills / Qualifications
- Develop and issue the Basis of Estimate for project cost estimates for approval
- Develop, issue, and maintain project cost estimates in accordance with the Basis of Estimate including statements of work scope, assumptions, man-hour estimates, narratives, and review & comment of client documents
- Develop the estimate schedules, and communicate this estimate approach and schedule with execution team
- Facilitate and participate in the internal review of project cost estimates, coordinating comments & updates and ultimately obtaining estimate approval as required
- Review and deliver estimates to management and the client for approval
- Review and issue updates to projects cost estimates in a controlled manner
- Liaise with other Project Controls disciplines to ensure projects budgets and schedules are developed to reflect the structure and content of the approved project cost estimate
- Liaise with engineering, procurement, subcontract and construction functions to maintain awareness of the requirements and costs of labor, plant and equipment, materials, subcontracts, offices, IT, and other provisions, to ensure these are accurately reflected in the project cost estimate
- Ensure the formal filing of project and proposal estimates, the collection of project historical data and the continuous update of estimating databases and norms in a controlled manner.
- Review and issue change orders in accordance with the appropriate change notifications
- May Review and communicate cost and schedule impact of change notifications
- Participate and lead Project Controls Compliance and Continuous Improvement Reviews
- Play an active role in the mentoring and career development of Estimating personnel
- Ensure alignment with business processes, procedures, and guidelines
- Promote the use of standard estimating systems, procedures, and work methods
- Coordinate the estimate plan and development with the project team
- Responsible for the overall development of the total project estimate
- Prepare the total Project Estimate Basis
- Arrange and conduct department, discipline, and project estimate review
Accountable for ensuring:
- Current contract rates are reflected in estimates
- Current materials and fabrication prices are maintained to reflect the latest market conditions
- Contingency risk analysis is carried out as specified in business policy, processes, and standards
- performance of projects is reviewed in terms of actual hours and quantities versus estimated hours and quantities with recommended changes to norms as required
- Scope and design development charge orders are correctly identified
- Change orders are tracked with correct submission and approval dates recorded
- Preferred bachelor's degree in a relevant technical or business discipline (or equivalent gained through relevant vocational training and/or industry experience)
Knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Typically requires a minimum of eight (8) years of progressive industry experience, with at least
(6) years in estimating positions
- Thorough knowledge of estimating techniques and systems with a detailed knowledge of how these are applied
- Excellent understanding of project management principles and techniques
- Strong understanding of Cost Management, Change Control, Planning & Risk Analysis & Management
- Prior experience in a Senior Estimating role.
- Scheduling competence
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.