Skills: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Railway Utilities Engineer to support of needs of several heavy civil/rail infrastructure projects in the GTA region.
The successful candidate will be expected to use their experience to prepare preliminary and detailed design drawing packages for storm, sanitary and watermain systems. This includes preparation of drawing mark-ups, conceptual figures, engineering design calculations, design briefs, technical reports, quantities, cost estimates, construction specifications and other duties as applicable. This role also involves working closely with the impacted dry utility owners to plan and coordinate relocations of their impacted infrastructure to satisfy the overall project needs. Utility coordination activities will involve interactions with internal project teams, other consultants and contractors, local stakeholders such as Local Area Municipalities, Regional municipalities, Third Party Utilities, Public Utility Commissions, Metrolinx, Canadian National Railway, Canadian Pacific Railway, Gas and Electric companies, Public Works Departments, Conservation Authorities and other interested Parties as required.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Manage the utilities design development process by coordinating all wet and dry utility requirements with the multi-disciplinary project team
- Responsible for understanding and following the contract, scope of work, schedule, estimate and procurement / contracting plan for the assigned project
- Act as a subject matter expert to ensure that the deliverables are met within the assigned budget and schedule
- Prepare calculations, engineering design plans, technical reports, specifications and cost estimates
- Engage as part of large multidisciplinary teams and review design documents for consistency and coordination
- Engage in verbal and written communications with clients, contractors, and sub-contractors
- Assist in the preparation of proposals
- Interact with clients, external consultants, construction and project management, estimators, and team leads
- Identify and share lessons learned to support continuous improvement of project performance and company operations
Skills / Qualifications
Education and Experience Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and sit. In addition, may require close vision work and travel.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical from a recognized institution
- Possess a minimum of 8 years of experience on large, complex transit/transportation projects with increasing levels of responsibility
- P.Eng. or eligibility for designation required
- Direct experience with local public and private utility companies in the Greater Toronto Area is an asset
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with design of trenchless methods for installation of small and large diameter watermains and sewers is an asset
- Ability to work independently as well as team building, strong interpersonal, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work at an advanced level with all Microsoft Office applications. Ability to work in CAD is an asset
- Authorization to lawfully work in Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.