Skills: QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a QC Inspector (Electrical & Instrumentation) with experience in the oil and gas petrochemical industry to be based in Midrand.
- Implement and maintain a system for the compilation and collation of a comprehensive record of construction quality documentation and certification of all construction work, and assist in the satisfactory handover of the completed plant to the Client.
- Ensure that the Contractors Quality Control records reflect the items in the inspection and test plan with strict adherence to identified 'hold points'.
- Ensure progressive and systematic acceptance and retention of Inspection records to enable turnover of original records to the Client on handover of major parts and or assemblies of the project.
- Ensure adequate inspection procedures to undertake and check all elements of the work process.
- Ensure stringent Quality Control is maintained for all Instrumentation inspections, Installation and construction.
- Act as an Ambassador of the company in all aspects of HSEQS & IR.
- Participate in and encourage Contractors to embrace the HEART behavioral safety approach.
- Manage and maintain mutually beneficial working relationships with Contractor, Client, and subordinates
- Comply with Company and Client secrecy agreements, and compliance, pertinent to the Construction Site and associated activities
- By means of audit/inspection, ensure that supplier / construction Contractors' staff are in receipt of the latest revision Approved for Construction (AFC) drawings, procedures, etc.
- Ensure that all Contractors' work is supported by an agreed Quality Control Plan that has been subject to review by Client and WOOD,
- Verify that reported errors, flaws or items that do not conform to specifications have been corrected, and the actions taken have been correctly recorded.
- Analyse trends identified by QC sampling and advise the Resident Site Manager ,Lead Instrument Engineer/Designer and site supervisory staff on corrective measures.
- Monitor the distribution of technical QC information to ensure that effective action results from such information distribution.
- Lead and attend site meetings on Quality Control matters and review and distribute notes of meeting.
- Maintain a list of quality issues encountered during the execution of the works or raised by the client. Report on their status, consequences, corrective actions taken and lessons to be learnt for future projects.
- Where required attend, Chair and minute Kick-Off and Pre Manufacturing meetings with the main Contractor(s) and critical suppliers establish how the defined QC requirements are to be implemented.
- Ensure that inspection of equipment and materials is carried out in accordance with all specifications, codes, standards, procedures, and Supplier Quality Control Plans.
- Anticipate and resolve QC problems encountered in the field to eliminate costly rework or re-testing
- Validates the approval, distribution and revision of procedures, Process Plans and Work / Operations Procedures for the overall Construction activity
- Liaises with the supplier / Construction/ C&I Engineering Department where necessary
- Identifies and evaluates Quality-related incidents / problems / non-conformances and initiates, recommends, and provides effective solutions where necessary
- Responsible for the initiation, collection, disposition and retention of QA/QC records in a timely manner in accordance with documented procedures
- Manages relationship with Sub-contracted companies to ensure compliance between subcontracted services and Client best practices and subcontract requirements.
- Liaises with HSSE representatives (internal, client & external) to ensure inherent compliance of documentation with Wood and Client safety standards
- Liaises with Wood Construction Manager, Construction Coordinators and Field Supervisors as work progresses and provide activity updates in the form of a QA/QC Daily Report covering all assigned Projects
- Perform Audit surveillance as work progresses, avoid last minute discoveries, address repetitive non- compliance and monitor implementation of corrective actions in response to the identification of non- conforming products/services through QA/QC Audits or otherwise, until the unsatisfactory condition has been rectified
- Provide QA/QC verification on site instrument installations (ie, loop, checking, hookup installations, etc) and provide review approval of installation samples packs.
- Perform site inspections at contractor workshops in accordance with material/subcontract requsitions and datasheets which include but not limited to Instruments Calibration, Control Valve/On Off Valves, Analyzer testing, Material inspections, CCTV and telecomms equipment, Instrument, control valves, anlayzer, etc including certifications and functionality tests.
- Liaise with the lead instrument engineer/designer for supplier/contractor resolutions on material/contract reqs and datasheets.
- Review all inspection and testing reports for compliance, with reference to applicable industry codes and site standards/procedures
- Liaise with the site contractors' QC inspectors for the resolution of site problems.
- Co-ordinate with client inspector where required and arrange inspections.
- Review of procedures and quality documentation such as Quality Control Plans and or Inspection and Teting Plans, Installation and testing procedures to be in alignment with Client requirements and specificatios.
- Review of C&I devices inspection and calibration records including but not limited to Control valves, Electrical Instrumentations, Analog measurement Instrumentation, Telecommunication devices, for compliance with Project material/contractor specification and acceptance Criteria
- Review of Cable testing records for compliance to project specification acceptance criteria
- Participation and quality presentation in daily toolbox talks
- Active participation in C&I Quality improvements drives
- Maintaining a log of items that require corrective actions and reporting such to site construction Team in a timely manner
- Punch listing of items and communication of such to the site construction leads
- Complete witness and inspection as per applicable C&I Quality Control Plans
- Completion of GO Completion ITR's
- Material Receipt compliance inspection
- Ensure client is satisfied before, during and after work is completed
Skills / Qualifications
- 10 years of work experience as an Instrumentation Inspector (in commercial, industrial and C&I applications is required (or equivalent combination of experience and training)
- BTech/Diploma in instrumentation related field from a recognised institution.
- Preferred Certification/Training in Quality (must be based on ISO 9001:2008) from a recognised institution. (For example, CQE, CQA, CQT or CQI).
- EX Certification
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years previous instrumentation QC experience, in the Petrochemical Plant Construction industry, together with knowledge of ISO 9001: requirements and its application in an Engineering, Design, Procurement, Construction and Commissioning environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication and Written skills.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.