Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Oceaneering Space Systems (OSS) is a precision engineering and manufacturing group which specializes in turn-key design, development, manufacturing, certification, maintenance, and testing of extra-vehicular and intra-vehicular (EVA & IVA) tools and equipment for astronauts; including life support and environmental control systems for space; robotic systems for military, space, and biological research; and thermal protection systems for launch vehicles. We also provide specialized engineering and support services in these areas, and astronaut training in NASA's Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Space Systems (OSS). This position is located in Clear Lake, Texas.
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will design, develop, test, and analyze mechanical/electromechanical hardware products and systems for use in human spaceflight Extravehicular Activities (EVAs). The products will include mockups, prototypes, engineering development units, certification units, and ultimately flight units that will be used in low-earth orbit, cis-lunar orbit, and on the surface of the moon. Candidates must be able to effectively utilize CAD, engineering, analysis, and modeling tools to create design documentation that enables rapid and efficient fabrication, testing, and production of Spacesuit subsystems/components and EVA Tools while meeting all performance and mission requirements. This work is in direct support of NASA/Aerospace customers .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform detailed design of mechanical and electromechanical systems, subsystems, and components to be used in a Spacesuit or Spacesuit to Vehicle interface as well as Extravehicular Tools and Crew Aids for lunar surface exploration.
- Apply engineering knowledge and principles and perform or oversee stress, thermal, and fluid dynamics analysis to achieve desired fit, form and function of hardware.
- Perform or oversee part tolerance analysis utilizing Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and understand the impact of thermal contraction/expansion from the surrounding low earth orbit or lunar environments to ensure fit and function.
- Design products to survive and mitigate spacecraft and mission environments including extreme vibration, radiation, and lunar dust environments.
- Design products that utilize Aerospace grade metallic and non-metallic materials typically used for lightweight high strength design applications in Human spaceflight.
- Generate or support the development of interface control drawings that define detailed features for fluid, mechanical, data, and electrical system interfaces with the surrounding host vehicle or Spacesuit subsystems.
- Generate and present design concepts, design features, and design details in presentation format (e.g., PowerPoint) at various design gate reviews such that the audience can clearly understand how the performance requirements were incorporated into the design, the design is producible and affordable, and is or can be verified as meeting the requirement set.
- Work effectively in a team environment that includes multi-functional groups such as Design/Drafting, Analysis, Production, Quality Assurance, Health and Safety, Project/Program management, Accounting/Finance.
- BS or MS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 5 plus years direct experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- US Citizenship required.
- Ability to perform CAD modeling and generate manufacturing drawings using Solid Works or Pro-E Creo.
- Experience with ASME Y14.5 drawing standards and/or NASA Engineering Drawing System Manual JSC JPR 8500.
- Familiarization with JSC Fabrication Tolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience with design of Spacecraft Life Support technologies such as human breathing gas systems, CO2 removal systems, humidity and temperature control systems and potable water processing systems or:
- Experience with design of NASA EVA Tools and Crew Aids; or
- Experience with design of Spacesuit and associated Ground Support Equipment and host Spacecraft interfaces.
- Experience using LabVIEW
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact employees, workplaces, families and communities, many of Oceaneering's clients are requiring that all individuals working at their sites be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, including employees of Oceaneering and other contractors. Accordingly, only individuals who are, or are willing to be, fully vaccinated before their start date are eligible for this position. Any applicant selected for this position will be required to prove that they are fully vaccinated prior to their start date.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.