Skills: Materials Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a Civil Materials Technician, St. John's, NL, Canada. This individual will be responsible for the performance, reporting and oversight of the materials quality control testing services in both the field and laboratory, and ensuring all work is in accordance with Wood's and the Project's, safety, quality, and environmental programs.
Scope will include testing of earthworks, granulars, portland cement concrete, and hot mix asphalt. Remote work to various project sites maybe required in this position. Wood is providing third-party Quality Control testing services for earthworks, concrete, and asphalt to various projects and clients.
We are seeking qualified individuals who possess the technical skills required to contribute to the quality control testing team on a heavy civil construction project.
- Review and understanding of project specifications and testing standards ; ASTM; CSA;
- C onducting laboratory/field tests and inspections and reporting test results for soils, concrete, and asphalt;
- C ommunicating effectively within a laboratory/field team environment;
- C alibrating, maintaining, and repairing testing equipment; and
- A dhering to all Site Safety Absolutes and working safely in accordance with Wood and Site Health and Safety programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology;
- Must have past experience working as a Materials Technician;
- Proficient in computer skills and Microsoft suite;
- Knowledge of construction specifications, testing standards, materials testing delivery;
- Candidates must have a valid driver's license, an acceptable driving record and must be able to pass regular Drug and Alcohol and Fitness screening as required;
- C andidates must be proficient in English (verbal and written);
- Candidates must be able to meet t he fitness requirements for this position which include the following physical deman While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, sit, or walk for long periods of time, and they must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee will be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch. Specific vision abilities include close vision and color vision;
- Ability to w o r k in a laboratory and construction site environment in various weather conditions;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Thorough attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies;
- Strong work ethic;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of the team;
- Demonstrated commitment to safety and quality;
- Able to make good decisions working in fast paced environment working in a laboratory and on a construction site in close proximity to equipment and people.
- MUST be eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship .
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.